BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello today on way home i was driving along and my engine cut out the oil and battery light came on . i pulled over and it started ok just very low idle has dropped but after a good run it seems to stay i think its quite low anyway the car used to have 2liter engine in and now has a 2.5i m50 engine. angel headlights fitted and an amp ive dissconected amp . can someone help is it my battery u think. how can i turn up the idle a bit. :frown

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dont know about how to turn your idle up,

have you checked the connections to the battery to see if there loose or corroded?
Im new to bimmers so may not be right,

*Have u checked the throttle body for dirt may need a clean (cheapest)

*Idle control valve,crank postion sensor,fuel pump,leads, may need clean/replace

With the 2ltr to a 2.5 ltr engine i cant say anything on that

(if im wrong please correct me!)

·
Registered
225 Posts
was it just oil/battery lights that came on? or did the whole dash flash before it cut out?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the battery and oil light came on because it stalled so its not the battery ive turned idle up a touch and its stopped it but i think its still going up and down when come to a holt. it seems to struggle when i first start the car revs up and then drops right down below 500 ready to stall. doing my head in lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
i would check all vacuum hoses for leaks,or failing that try unpugging your MAF,if it corrects itself then thats your problem...or possibly your idle control valve may need cleaned/replaced....could be quite a few things!!

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
A diagnostic scan would also be a worthwhile investment:thumbsup

If nothing else it's a chance to have any old codes removed from the ECU;)

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I would be checking for any air leaks first from split hoses, split vacuum pipes, split engine breather pipes or split induction pipes, also any valves and diaphragms that may have failed. Any air that is sucked into the engine should travel past the Air flow meter otherwise it will give you a running fault and will make the car tick over low and lumpy.

Also you shouldn't have to touch the idle, adjusting it means you have a problem there in the first place and is like opening a umbrella when there is a flood................

you are not solving anything :hihi

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i know what u mean ... lol i got car of my cousin i cant seem to find the air mass i used to have an e36 320 and it was on the elbow a square thing . on this one he has put an air filter on but there is no square air mass to be seen. there is a sensor going into the ally pipe screwed in properly. the car i have was a 320 coupe and he put a 325i engine in . is there a different set up on this engine or has he removed it somehow

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i found the air mass ,,, ive cleaned throttle thingy today and bought a new air filter as the old one had gone black with age and is deep in black oil like. i read once that a filter with oil on it can damage the air mass sensor. is this true. i really think its my air mass sensor dont know why i just think its gone .

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
i found the air mass ,,, ive cleaned throttle thingy today and bought a new air filter as the old one had gone black with age and is deep in black oil like. i read once that a filter with oil on it can damage the air mass sensor. is this true. i really think its my air mass sensor dont know why i just think its gone .
Oil can damage the Air mas sensor, it would still be worth getting the fault codes read.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.