BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My BMW E36 2.5i began to overheat in traffic yesterday with the temp needle moving up, I was able to stop somewhere safe which was a relief.

I changed the fan clutch last Saturday (following the correct orientation of it), did a radiator coolant flush and bled out the system. In the past 2 years I changed the water pump, thermostat and radiator (I have only covered 6k miles in the past 2 years).

Has anyone had any the same experience? Could it have overheated due to the hot weather we have been experiencing? Or could it be the bleeding process, should I do that again?

Thanks

Vin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to follow up I put the car on jack stands today and bled out the cooling system. I had to do it twice as first time round I was not getting any hot air coming through the vents when the coolant gauge was at 90 degrees. After I did it again hot air started coming through the vents. I then took it for a few test drives for about 15-20 mins and the car didn't overheat. The only thing I've noticed now is that my temperature gauge needle is just a bit past dead centre (90 degrees). Is this normal for others out there?

·
Registered
437 Posts
yes, and you had an airlock like payno suggested, if you ever drain out your coolant you must have the heater turned on and set to the hottest setting to bleed out the air that would get trapped in the heater core if the heater was not set to hot.
chris.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts