BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have recently bought a BMW E34 525tds Touring (1995) with about 137,000 miles on the clock. When I bought it there was a warning light on the dash which I believe is something to do with the automatic transmission or a DME fault? I drove the car a significant distance without ragging it just to get it home and it seemed okay. However, over the last few weeks I haven't used it as much and it seems to be holding back and it is not as responsive. Also if left on idle it happily warms up over a period of 15 minutes or so, however, when in use it will warm up within minutes as though there is excessive load on the engine, thus generating more heat.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice?

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Water pump fault,head gasket possible causes. Best give cooling system a good check over and also scan car for logged fault codes see what’s causing the warning lights

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply and advice. It's just a bit peculiar about the reduction of power, much to my wife's annoyance I've had a few BMWs' with head gasket failure (E36, E46 and E65) and they all behaved in a similar way to each other, they were a bit rough when starting and coolant level dropped, then got worse. I've not seen this with the E34 or any bubbles or oil residue in the coolant or cream in oil filler but I'll bear it in mind. Although the car is half decent, it was stood a long time so I really need to start again with it... probably starting with a scan, the water pump replacement like you say plus removing some stickers.

I just wondered if the reduction in power was something to do with the turbo like the waste gate solenoid or turbo needing a overhaul? The EGR looks pretty clean and hasn't been deleted either. I've never taken a turbo out of a car but with the E34 it looks so tempting to remove it because of how accessible it is.

Can you recommend a good scanner for the E34?
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
How fast does it warm up ?.
Both my e53 and e90 diesels i can feel the heat coming through the vents in 2 minutes of starting up but not up to full temp until after around 5 to 7 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Alan G,

Thanks for the info. If I just leave it idle, ticking-over it will take around 15 minutes to heat up, once driving it is up to temperature about 1 mile up the road, pretty much the same distance it took my E36 316i to get up to temperature before the head-gasket blew on that. However, the heater blasts a constant temperature out with no dips in temperature, the other BMWs' I've had with head gasket problems have regularly gone hot and cold with the heating. The E36 reservoir eventually over-pressurised and burst but the tell tale signs were there (i.e misfiring on cold start, bubbling in reservoir, oil slick in coolant, heated going hot/cold and smoky on startup).

I have an E61 525d too, that takes around 3 to 4 miles to get up to temperature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, just a little update. I went to move the car tonight and it's got next to no go in it. So I've had a good look under the bonnet and found perished vacuum hoses to and from the turbo boost solenoid plus a broken jubilee clip on the turbo pressure hose which has caused the hose to become disconnected. I have a new jubilee clip but unfortunately I can't get the turbo hose back on. I'll continue once I have some spare time around family duties and it's not dark. :)

Hopefully this will solve some of my problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, I managed to squeeze in an hour this afternoon before kids came home and replaced all the vacuum hoses, then worked out how to access/reconnect the turbo hose that goes to the intercooler plus gave the engine bay a good clean because there was a fair bit of atomised oil where the pipe had blown off. I also noticed the engine mounts are perished and before reconnecting turbo inlet that the turbine wheel has some play in it so looks like I need to do some maintenance to that soon.

After putting all back together I started it up, it immediatly sounded better and as usual gradually warmed up. Then decided to take it out on the road, no soon as I got about 1/2 mile up the road and the engine showed up to temperature.

I think I need to go back to looking at the water pump and test/inspect it. Also try and get a scan tool for it so that I can see what is causing the engine management light to be on for. The saga continues...

·
Registered
879 Posts
Water pumps are a common issue on this engine. The impeller ends up spinning on the shaft resulting in the engine getting hot very quickly then it reduces power to help stop and damage. Had exactly this issue on a e39 tds.
cheers
Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info, so I suppose it's best to remove it and to check visually. Can you recommend a good replacement pump if I do need replace it?

Do you know much about the turbos? I imagine there must be a kit for overhauling them.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Any new pump with a metal impeller will be okay and you should easily see if the old one is faulty. Not sure about the turbo as mine was still on the original turbo when I sold it with 368 thousand miles on it. It is normal to have some play in the shaft but depends on how worn yours is I guess.
cheers
Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts