BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per the title really.

Currently in the process of purchasing a BMW E36 318ti Compact for conversion, along with an M30 3.5L engine and running gear, however the Cam Shaft is rather worn, a couple of mates have suggested purchasing a new one before the install, which I can see why for obvious reasons.

Question is, what sort of price am I looking at? Got the engine cheap, with no smoke, knocks or strange noises, so would be nice to keep rather than dismantle and sell on.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Banned
478 Posts
The camshaft on the m30 engine??

i cant remember 100%, but im sure you'd need to change the followers as well, as these will be worn also, if the camshaft is worn, it might be cheaper to go to a breakers and get a complete cylinder head with everthing in there, and just swap them over, rather than replacing the camshaft with a new one.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You will need to replace the followers as well, they wear along with the camshaft, you should check the oil spray bar out as it may be partially blocked or just buy a new one.

A Cam on it's own will probably be around £100, then you will need the followers, try GSF or Euros

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, thanks for the infomation guys.

Cant say that I shall be completing the conversion with this engine at the moment, as the above costs come to more than I paid for the block and running gear.

The search begins again...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts