BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks

Hoping someone may be able to asnwer my question, I am interested in looking into purchasing a 'nearly new' 1 Series as my next car, and am noticing that many other manufacturers offer connectivity to android phones for the purpose of accessing apps on android devices via Android Auto / Mirror link. Ultimately i am hoping to be able to use spotify in the car, ideally without having to use any kind of cable ( im not sure if this is how it works with Android auto/mirror link in other cars but im assuming it does via bluetooth / wireless). Am I right in thinking the BMW must have 'Connected Drive'? And if so - that it requires a specific option to be enabled/fitted, and when enabled only works with Iphones, and that it also requires a cable to be connected? Sorry that question is in fact more like 5 or 6 rolled into one, basically the question is can I use Spotify on an Android device through the BMW interface system. Thanks for reading this far and any helpful comments are much appreciated =)

MJ

·
Registered
597 Posts
Short answer is only with a cable and then only if the 1 Series has all the optional kit installed to make it work. And what kit is optional and what is standard will depend on model age and type. Otherwise no.

Generally speaking (having owned BMWs for the last decade or so, and been on ConnectedDrive for most of that, and owning both Apple and Android phones throughout that period) Apple integration in BMWs is far better than Android. But both have limitations.

As I've written on here before ConnectedDrive comes with an unadvertised free extra feature called DisconnectedDrive, which means sometimes it simply doesn't work consistently.

One last point - the dealers generally do not know what ConnectedDrive can and cannot do by model and vehicle age simply because there are so many variants. Neither - in my experience at least - does BMW UK. So think Lotto...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Johnny for the reply ;)

I had feared this lotto scenario may be the case =(

Unfortunately for me, a priority if im to shell out a decent amount of cash on a car now is that id really like to be able to easily listen to my music collection, something which I can easily acheive on say a 2 year old skoda yeti for example. I currently have a 2008 120d coupe which I love to death but it feels a bit dated and id like something with a bit more oompph and an updated infotainment system...sad to say my eyes may be wandering over to the golf camp just because it offers android auto which breaks my heart (plus im allergic to iphones!).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Unfortunately ConnectedDrive seems to think everybody has a bloody iPhone and almost completely ignores Android functionality :mad

Also, as above, most dealerships are clueless about ConnectedDrive or the features within it, the whole system and company need a good kick up the arse and sorting out.

In regards to on-screen functionality Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, neither are supported on any BMW and I don't see them becoming so either. I had a go with Android Auto a year or so ago and tbh I wasn't that impressed.

Your best bet is using Bluetooth A2DP, operating Spotify on the phone itself and playing through the car. Problem is you can only pause/skip tracks using steering wheel/head unit controls, everything else relies on operating the phone, which is illegal!

Crappy situation for BMW and ConnectedDrive to put Android users in, especially as Android currently accounts for around 80% of the global smartphone market, but don't get me started on that...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've never had an issue with the app above, except that every now and then it forgets my login details and I have to enter them again :mad

·
Registered
35 Posts
In my Mitsubishi Shogun, I have a Parrot 9200i which besides giving me hands free phone use, also allows me to connect my iPod and several other possible equipment connection options. All wires are hidden away and fed into the glove box, so out of sight out of mind. Is it possible to install a Parrot system into a BMW without it affecting a cars iDrive or Connected Drive etc ? Just a thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts