BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Chaps,

I was geting really narked off hearing different answers about whether my warranty would be voided by certain addidtions.
I called BMW customer services (0800 325 600) and found out some basics.

If you fit non BMW parts that are legitimate (apart from being non BMW) - for example - FOX alloy wheels, the warranty will be unaffected but there may be some difficulty claiming if a component in direct contact with the part fails - for example - the hub.

BMW may also try to show that the non-BMW component could have contibuted to any other failure - a drive shaft, brake disc etc, but clearly alloy wheels could not cause your alternator to fail etc.

Non run-flats do not invalidate the warranty either.

This would also apply to Xenon upgrades - only the lamp wiring, lenses etc would be compromised.

The engine was mentioned several times and I'm afraid any mods to the ECU, air-filter etc would leave you on dodgy ground.

If in doubt about your own particular warranty - give BMW a ring - they were most helpful.

Now off to fit my 335i replica alloys . . . .

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bugger.

Could one of you lovely Mods change my typo in the title to "Warranty"

Ta

·
Registered
211 Posts
In addition, regarding servicing work:

In October 2003 European Union legislation, 'Block Exemption Regulations 1400/2002' (BER) came into force. This meant that independent repairers can carry out normal maintenance and repair services during a vehicle's warranty period without invalidating the warranty conditions provided that:

-the service is carried out in accordance with the manufacturer's servicing schedules and is recorded as such.

-any parts used are of 'appropriate quality' (would stick to genuine BMW parts for no later come backs unless you are upgrading parts) and are recorded as such.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts