BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Hope everyone is keeping safe and healthy.

Just wanted to let fellow 840 E31 owners in the London area know that our vehicles are exempt from Transport For London's (TFL's) ULEZ charge, providing that you register for an exemption via the Transport for London website. You will need to provide them with a copy of your V5 log book and also a copy of the Certificate of Conformity from BMW, which you can request BMW UK to provide.

In around 12 months or so the ULEZ coverage area is set to be expanded and this would mean that I would have had to pay almost 15 pounds every time I wanted to take the car for a spin. Extortion plain and simple, and it caused me to consider putting my pride and joy up for sale. No need to do that now with the exemption, so wanted to give fellow E31 V8ers a heads up. I have always had much respect and admiration for German engineering, broadly speaking. The fact that these cars built 20+ years ago can sail through TFL's emissions standards criteria in 2020, which are some of the most stringent criteria on the planet, is testament to the superior engineering of these vehicles. I salute the engineers that designed and constructed our vehicles.

I can't speak about whether the 850's will also qualify for the exemption, I'll leave that to others to chime in.

Keep safe and happy motoring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Amazing news! Wedge would you know who you contacted in bmw uk to get the certificate of conformity? Thanks lots, you made my day!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reactions: marianogodoy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is great work - well done! I really didn't think that our 4.4 Litre V8 would ever be classed as Ultra-Low Emission!
Me neither, I was especially surprised as it’s a 1995 vintage with the original release M60 4.0 litre engine in this particular case!

E31’s have been steadily increasing in value over the past few years as they become increasingly rare and more firmly established as “classic” vehicles. My guess is that once word gets out about the ULEZ exemption status of these vehicles (V8 models) prices are surely bound to rise further.

Around a couple of months ago I was seriously considering selling due to the ULEZ. She’s in all round mint condition with only 98,000 miles on the clock, sports seats, headlamp washers, ASC etc... only negatives are slight drooping of headlining and tiny amount of rust on rear arch. Spent a fortune maintaining her over the past 15 years. Long story short, the fella at Old Colonel Cars offered me 5 grand. Told him to go take a walk. Glad I kept her now.

Any gueses on what the oldest vehicle to meet the ULEZ emissions standards is? Vehicles over 40 years old automatically qualify for exemption due to their tax exemption status, so these wouldn’t count as meeting the emissions standards.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks Wedge for this, great news.
And Why would ever sell her, certainly not at that price, you should have told them to add another £10k and you'd think about it!
ATB

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why would ever sell her
Believe me I didn't want to sell her, but based on my usage of the car the upcoming ULEZ charge would have added approximately another 3 grand per year on her running costs, which would have been just a stretch too far. Now that she is ULEZ exempt problem solved!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Be prepared to follow up / push them as they are inundated with requests from what I understand. I had to send 2 follow ups before I finally received a response.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your VIN and vehicle registration and a written request for them to provide you with the Certificate of Conformity for your vehicle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wedge31 this is a great find - I’m in Essex and drive into the City quite a lot for work so I’ll be requesting one too. Do they need a home address to send a hard copy certificate to or is it just via email?

·
Forum Chatbot
2,648 Posts
Hello all,

Hope everyone is keeping safe and healthy.

Just wanted to let fellow 840 E31 owners in the London area know that our vehicles are exempt from Transport For London's (TFL's) ULEZ charge, providing that you register for an exemption via the Transport for London website. You will need to provide them with a copy of your V5 log book and also a copy of the Certificate of Conformity from BMW, which you can request BMW UK to provide.

In around 12 months or so the ULEZ coverage area is set to be expanded and this would mean that I would have had to pay almost 15 pounds every time I wanted to take the car for a spin. Extortion plain and simple, and it caused me to consider putting my pride and joy up for sale. No need to do that now with the exemption, so wanted to give fellow E31 V8ers a heads up. I have always had much respect and admiration for German engineering, broadly speaking. The fact that these cars built 20+ years ago can sail through TFL's emissions standards criteria in 2020, which are some of the most stringent criteria on the planet, is testament to the superior engineering of these vehicles. I salute the engineers that designed and constructed our vehicles.

I can't speak about whether the 850's will also qualify for the exemption, I'll leave that to others to chime in.

Keep safe and happy motoring.

View attachment 270843
What is your road tax like?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wedge31 this is a great find - I’m in Essex and drive into the City quite a lot for work so I’ll be requesting one too. Do they need a home address to send a hard copy certificate to or is it just via email?
No home address needed as the TFL exemption letter is provided by email in PDF format. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just to say thank you Wedge, got my Certificate of Conformity today from BMW and sent it off to TFL with my V5 doc, so fingers crossed.
Just a quick one if has Duplicate (or Duplikat) stamp on it - did yours?
Sparky

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to say thank you Wedge, got my Certificate of Conformity today from BMW and sent it off to TFL with my V5 doc, so fingers crossed.
Just a quick one if has Duplicate (or Duplikat) stamp on it - did yours?
Sparky
No worries Sparky. It was a duplicate that BMW UK supplied me with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts