BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm toying with the idea of getting a BMW 750i/iL V12 as an option between a Volvo V70R and Merc 600 V12 to be used purely for cruising the UK motorwarys when I have to carry passengers (and replace my 328i as a daily driver). The V70R will have everyone pinned to the seats but that's purely for my amusement but, the idea of having folding tables and perhaps the extra gadget or so for rear passengers with the huge rear leg room is quite appealing.

Can anyone tell me the following for the 750i/iL;

- what equipment was standard and what was optional?
- whats the power/torque
- any other technical specs/information?
- what are the weak points of the 750i?

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Not sure about what was standard but we look after a 1996 750il at work. Its an awsome machine, iirc they are about 300+bhp...:eek
It has everything fitted including double glazing.
Its one of my fav cars ive driven, fast as fook, but silent and comfy doing it.
What you have to remember is that there are 2 of everything on the engine. " ECU's, 2 Distributors, 2 throttles....Makes it expensive to maintain.
The gearbox has been rebuilt on our customers, the rear lower balljoints only last a couple of years. And the brake pipes are a nightmare when they need replacing, most of them will by now...:frown
The electronic throttles can play up, Ive not found them cheaper than £1000 each...:eek
Lovely cars to drive, brilliant engine but very very expensive to maintain.
Better off with a nice 740 IMO...:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve. The 2 ECU's & Throttles sounds like possible trouble if they turn tempermental. I'd epxect suspension parts to be replaced or be due for replacement due to the size/weight of the car. Brake lines is something to inspect when viewing now I guess.

The 740i's are nice and I can see where you are comming from in terms of running costs which does make sense. However if I got one, would have to be the 750i as thats the whole point of me getting one, for the ultimate in the luxury equipment fitted above a 740i. I'll have to compare the spec against the Merc V12. BMW I guess will handle better for a large car but need to see how it stacks up in the spec department.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Its very surprising how well they handle for such a big car. It will chew up a hot hatch, even round bends.
Deffo check the rear brake pipes carefully, check every part you can see. Ive even had to do front pipes on these before. :frown
Oh, check the cats as well, any rattles in them mean they could be breaking up, the parts can block the rear exhausts then. Replacement Cats are silly money too.
They are a lot of car for the money, but a shite one will be a money pit DSK..:frown

Keep us posted on how you get on....:thumbsup

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
868 Posts
How about an 8-series?

The 7-series are absolutely wonderful cars, and as Steve points out, they help rather than fight the driver. I must have been driving these for around 20 years now :D.

However, I find that nowadays, unless I need to ferry stuff or people about, I drive my 850s - they are supreme :thumbsup. Have you considered trying to find a late 850?

With regard to maintenance they can be difficult, depending on whether you send them to a garage or service them yourself. In the first case you need to find one of the few garages that can actually service 750s/850s properly without simply replacing £2k worth of parts because they can't diagnose a fault. In the second case you need proper diagnostic equipment, e.g. an old Modic III and a good knowledge of how the car works. An extra one to take parts from is not to be despised either :D.

With regard to the throttle bodies these are not so difficult to service although BMW don't offer that service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.