BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new here. Hope you are all well.

I've got a problem with my 2004 645ci. The car has 125k miles on the clock. Recently my mechanic has replaced the bank 2 valve cover gasket due to the oil leak. After that the car has sluggish reaction on gas and irratic idle when engine is cold, poor economy17mpg. There is no MIL on the dash - just red service reminder message which cannot be deleted. When plugged in an INPA there is a 27cO code which doesn't go away after reseting.

So far I've replaced bank2 exhaust sensor - which didn't solve the problem. Also checked and cleaned all the other sensor's plugs. Cleared all the adaptations with no luck. IVM module fuses are also good. Vanos solenoids has been cleaned about 4 months ago - which improved reaction on gas back then.

Worth to mention that the camshaft adaptation output on bank 2 remains solid while the other 3 fluctuate when engine is running (pls see INPA screenshots below)

I'm running out of the ideas what is causing that the valvetronic doesn't work :( Any sugestion would be very appreciated

Worth to mention that the car is kept in a good mechanical order. During my 3 year's ownership following jobs/parts replacements has been done:

·
3,314 Posts
It seems a bit of a coincidence that the valvetronic motor was removed (which it has to be to remove the valve cover) and now you have valve timing problems - I would guess that something went wrong with the process.

However, valvetronic adjusts valve LIFT, whereas the Vanos system control valve timing. What does your mechanic say about the problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It seems a bit of a coincidence that the valvetronic motor was removed (which it has to be to remove the valve cover) and now you have valve timing problems - I would guess that something went wrong with the process.

However, valvetronic adjusts valve LIFT, whereas the Vanos system control valve timing. What does your mechanic say about the problem?
Hi Timm. Thank you for your quick reply. Spoke with mechanic and he said that he didn't have any problems doing this job. However, during removal of eccentric sensor plug, he broke 1 of the 2 clips which hold the plug in the place. I have inspected this plug yesterday and it doesn't seem like the plug is loose or wooble - I still would like to replace it regardless

Today, when I've plugged in an Inpa, another 3 new codes appeared - 2851, 2853, 27b8 along with 27c0.
Also , both eccentric motors seems to do initial self calibration when the key is turned into position 2

Tomorrow going to visit a friend who has got an ISTA D software and will try to reset Valvetronic system and re-learn it with this software. As I don't know how to do it in Inpa.
Will provide here any outcome once it has been done

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did that already Timm, thanks. In the ISTA D there is a function; <Learn Valvetronic limit positions> which I'm going to try on Sunday, maybe my system is more staborn and needs to be pushed by laptop :)
By the way, today I have managed to clear all the errors and adaptations and that brought valvetronic to live :) But after short test drive the 27c0 code came back and Valvetronic turned into failsafe mode again.. :(
The only difference this time is that the camshaft adaptions output for bank 2 fluctuates when engine is running, while before it was solid. Still don't know what is causing this but I'm pleased that at least I could see valvetronic working fine for a bit.
Starting to thinking that eccentric sensor could be going bad interminately hence codes 2851, 2853...
Going to keep digging into it and let you know about any outcomes :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts