BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 535d m sport 5 series and have noticed an issue with the engine fan. The fan comes on shortly after starting the car and stays on throughout any journey short or long even on the motorway and it is running at full blast, which is very audible. When you stop and turn the engine off the fan continues running for approximately 10-15 minutes before finally turning off.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Can't hear mine if it runs or not.

Sounds like the temp sensor feeding to the fan is bad/poorly.

Motorway speeds certainly no fan at all... ahh as I can't hear it, how do I know? :)

Sure it's the fan?

Find the guide to the hidden menus, need to add up the last few characters of the VIN, on one of the hidden menus is a list of oil and water temps pretty sure....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you think it’s a faulty temperature sensor ? The engine temps when the car has been running for some time seems to be slightly higher than it should be about 110c instead of the usual 90c. Again could just be the sensor reading wrong hence fan going nuts but could it be anything else ?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I don't know if there's one feed for temp or different sensors, the hidden menu thing I think splits the oil and water temps.

If the temp immediately registers high, then it could be a duff lead to a sensor - OR if it's telling the truth you have a cooling problem, plus at speed you hardly need a fan for throughput do ya?

Pretty sure one of the family cars runs at 80C, another at 100C, so it depends on which or what is normal and then what is a variant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts