BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

BMW 530D SE 2004 revs fluctuations are doing my headache 🤕

781 views 22 replies 3 participants last post by  can man 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I’m new to the forum and just registered myself to be a part of bmw family group 😀.
I’ve bought 530d se 2004 a month ago.
many issues with the car as been neglected by previous owner. But I still had the guts to risk it.
im in the process of changing front,rear arms bushes and ball joints plus major service including glow plugs,control unit,swirl flaps deleted already. Inlet manifold and egr been degreased and all the vacuum hoses been replaced.
next thing is ZF6HP26 service 😊.
when I bought the car I ran ISTA to confirm the fault codes which came up with 2 faults as the revs got some fluctuations on idle 678-680 rpm and then on 1100rpm.
faults were with egs control and glow plugs plus glow plugs control unit.
I put everything back yesterday and fired the engine up. But still got annoying fluctuations. Is there anything to do with injectors? Car has 135,000 miles.
please shed some light on my issue.
thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Thanks a lot for replying me mate. But can you please explain little bit in detail about above phrase*large hoses on the charge air-line and the small vacuum hoses?*
I’ve changed the vacuum lines with 3.5mm silicone ones from eBay. I think there are 4. But I don’t have a clue about large hoses on the charge air line😐😏

#5 ·
Thank you so much. I’ve changed both thermostats and while doing them had a good look on both of these pipes. They’re still in good shape but I’ll have a closer look on them again.
I was reading here about vacuum tank as well. Does my car have it?
Mine is 2004 pre lci se model.

#7 ·
Thank you so much. I’ve changed both thermostats and while doing them had a good look on both of these pipes. They’re still in good shape but I’ll have a closer look on them again.
The top right-hand one can be a nightmare to check. The splits occur on the underside so you cannot see them. I advise you to remove them and have a physical and visual check. I find squeezing them can reveal any splits which you would otherwise miss. It's better to fail on your drive than halfway down the motorway!

#11 ·
If you face the engine, you have the hot side on the left and the cold side on the right. That is the way I describe it.

On the left, you have the hot exhaust manifold. The gases help turn the turbo. There is an aluminium pipe coming from the turbo which connects to the intercooler via a hose.

On the right, you have a bottom hose from the intercooler which connects to another aluminium pipe. From the top of that pipe you have another hose which feeds the EGR valve. You have an anti-shudder valve before the EGR.

#13 ·
Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate them.

When I first started on these engines, I did not have the first idea. A lot of the guys on here helped me, and so I am helping new guys like yourself. I am not an expert, but I have a fair amount of experience now.

Let us know how you get on. Those hoses are notorious for hiding splits so give them a good squeeze and then inspect them.

#14 ·
Thanks for your reply mate. Yes I’m on the car right now and took off both hoses and gave them a good clean with petrol. But honestly I couldn’t find any rip or leak in them instead the gasket on the air mass flow pipe which connects on turbo is at bottom end looks bit tired and it’s not that tight fit.

#15 ·
The mass airflow pipe connects differently. If you look lower down on the left, you should see the hose connected to the aluminium pipe and the intercooler. On the right-hand side, the top and bottom hoses; all three need checking.

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) can fail, but it often creates a red herring and isn't the fault. The seal on the turbo end of that pipe failed on my car and I replaced it. There is also another seal on the top of the turbo connecting to the aluminium pipe. If that one is loose; oil will be apparent on the turbo.

#16 ·
Good afternoon. Sorry for late reply mate as been grafting 😂. The seal you said on mine is knackered as well. There’s no oil around turbo. I’ve checked the seal on aluminium pipe and that’s fine. Now I’m thinking to replace all these pipes and see what happens. I thought may be the injectors and I changed fuel filter yesterday. I filled it with injectors cleaner(wynns from Halfords) and ran engine for 2 minutes. Stopped the engine for 30 minutes to let cleaner work. Went and filled up with premium diesel and chucked a bottle of dpf cleaner and then drove her for good half hour 45 minutes.
still bloody same 😫😫.
mom just losing interest bro xx

#17 ·
The seal on the turbo is readily available it is #7 in the diagram. Here is one on eBay

You need to get a diagnostic tool so you can investigate the fault codes. The forum sponsor Jimmy at Cable-Shack can support you. I think another user was unsure if they were accepting orders.

With diagnostics, you can narrow down the fault, and the codes will allow users on here to advise. Sometimes, you get an error code, but you do not know if it is the sensor or the hose which is failing. I err on the side of the hose being faulty. Yes, sensors fail, but sometimes people spend a fortune on new ones only to discover it was a damaged hose or seal.

I am not saying it isn't the injectors, but I would get all your vacuum hoses and seals sorted first.

#18 ·
The seal on the turbo is readily available it is #7 in the diagram. Here is one on eBay

You need to get a diagnostic tool so you can investigate the fault codes. The forum sponsor Jimmy at Cable-Shack can support you. I think another user was unsure if they were accepting orders.

With diagnostics, you can narrow down the fault, and the codes will allow users on here to advise. Sometimes, you get an error code, but you do not know if it is the sensor or the hose which is failing. I err on the side of the hose being faulty. Yes, sensors fail, but sometimes people spend a fortune on new ones only to discover it was a damaged hose or seal.

I am not saying it isn't the injectors, but I would get all your vacuum hoses and seals sorted first.
Thanks for the brief message 👍. I’ve just ordered one which you mentioned.

#19 ·
I’ve got bmw tools software installed on my laptop. With ISTA I had 24 faults 😂😂😂.
but after changing glow plugs,MAF sensor,glow plug control unit and degreasing inlet manifold plus egr and throttle body and fuel filter yesterday 23 are gone and I’m very happy 😆. But one is still there. Please have a look on the picture below. Have a good evening 😊

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.