BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'll tell you the story first. The car is E39 520i 10/1996 without rain sensor. The car is owned by my friend. I assist him with wiring and coding. What we have done: we replaced (new ones in brackets) LCM (LCM III B HW C1 SW 43), GM3 (GM III HIGH HW 2.1 SW 2.3) , light switch(with auto function) with ones from a E39 530i 09/2001 and mounted and wired RLS module (HW 4.0 Cod.-I. 02 Diag.-I. 10) from the 530i. Software used: INPA 5.0.3; NCS Expert 3.1.0; DISv44; BMW Decoder v0.3
What we did step by step:
1. My friend got his windshield broken and replaced it with new one with preparation for rain sensor;
2. We swapped the LCM, GM3 and the light switch (plug and almost play)
>So far everything seemed to work properly except missing HIGH beams and turn signals and temper dot on the instrument cluster
3. With NCS expert I coded to default settings the GM3 module and coding went flawlessly.
4. With NCS expert I coded to default settings the LCM module and coding ended with error (I think because of the ZCS not corrected for the new parts), but nevertheless we got back the HIGH beams and turn signals.
>So far the car got all functionality as before the interventions.
5. I mounted the RLS module in place and did the wiring as follow: Pin 3 from RLS to pin 20 plug X11176 of instrument cluster (KOM type or low version); pin 4 from RLS to pin 20 plug X332 of GM3; pin 2 (ground) to center interior light ground; pin 1 (+12V) to the power line of the reading lamps of center interior light.
6. With BMW Decoder I recalculated SA from 00000A00040014C4-R to 00000A00040017C4-U with adding Option codes "0500-N0396 Rain sensor" and "0430-Interior/Outside Mirror w. Auto Dip" (We mounted and wired the mirror with auto dip function some time ago).
7. With DISv44 I changed the SA and coded the LCM and GM3 - everything went flawlessly.
8. I tried to initialize rain sensor with DIS but failed. DIS gave me some error which I do not remember but this was the first time me to use DIS at all :)
9. I initialized the rain sensor with INPA and we got working Auto Wipers.
10. With NCS Expert I coded LCM by changing only the value of AUTOM_FAHRL_STEUERG from "nicht_aktiv" to "aktiv", coding ended with error again, but we got the auto lights working.
>Now we have fully working Auto wipers and Auto lights with only one weird thing: When auto lights are triggered on by the RLS and we open the driver's door and turn the car key in position 0 the lights warning chime runs just for a second.
-------
We decided to try different setting for the RLS sensor sensitivity. I loaded NCS Expert, but RLS module was not listed. I tried to go around and did the following: Loaded NCS with Revtor's profile then loaded modules and hit "Process ECU" and picked ABG module. After that "Enter SGET data" window appeared and I changed the rows to match those for the RLS module (found pic from the web how it looks) and hit OK. NCS expert accepted the change, the jobname was CODIERDATEN_LESEN and I hit the "Execute job" button. But during the process ""ZCS changing is activ" an error window popped out saying "VIN is faulty".
-------
Finally here comes my question:
1. Is it possible the read/code the RLS module on that car. I suppose that it is not possible since the car has ZCS but RLS module was introduced when ZCS had already been replaced by VO.
> I plan to code our RLS by mounting it to another car with stock RLS and code it there.

P.S. I'd like to ask here another question for my own car (and not posting another thread): My car is e46 316i 03/1999 and it came with IHKA without automatic re-circulation. I replaced IHKA with one with auto re-circulation button and mounted AUC sensor too. I did manual coding of IHKA without changing SA number. Everything worked fine except the "version and language do not match" warning message when reading the module with INPA, which message I did not get with the stock IHKA. I retrofited the IHKA with DIS and everything went fine (SA was changed) but I still get "version and language do not match" warning message in INPA. So, do you know how to correct that ?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
3,520 Posts
Even the later E39's still have ZCS. As the automatic lights came after 9/01 you have to change GM in ZCS so that it thinks the vehicle is newer. Use that altered ZCS for this coding and don't save it in instrument cluster or EWS. For example 53110000 to 5F110000.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even the later E39's still have ZCS. As the automatic lights came after 9/01 you have to change GM in ZCS so that it thinks the vehicle is newer. Use that altered ZCS for this coding and don't save it in instrument cluster or EWS. For example 53110000 to 5F110000.
Thank you very much for the info. So, if I understand you correctly the problem is in the original ZCS. Since the ZCS is for a 1996 car the NCS could not load a module which was not available at that time. I'm not well familiar with coding yet, so let me explain what I've just tried and what I am planning to do. Please correct me if necessary.

I opened NCS expert > loaded Revtor's profile > F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA) > F1 (Enter ZCS) > picked E39 > entered VIN > Entered 5F110000 (as you suggest) for GM; 00000A00040017C4 for SA; 000003A5C4 for VN > hit F6 (back) and NCS return error "COAPI-1000"

The donor car has the following VIN: CJ50001. Using that VIN I obtained from the program Zeko_4.2a the following codes: GM: 5F610000-E; SA: 0001000004000584-4; VN: 1010000882-7; I did as above:

Opened NCS expert > loaded Revtor's profile > F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA) > F1 (Enter ZCS) > picked E39 > entered VIN (original, not that of the donor car) > Entered 5F610000 for GM; 0001000004000584 for SA; 1010000882 for VN > hit F6 (back) and NCS loaded modules including RLS. Can I at this point connect to the car and read/code the RLS safely? Thank you :)

·
Super Moderator
3,520 Posts
5F61xxxx is 530i but it doesn't matter as long as you can choose and code RLS. Don't code other modules with that ZCS as it's way different to your original.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5F61xxxx is 530i but it doesn't matter as long as you can choose and code RLS. Don't code other modules with that ZCS as it's way different to your original.
Yes, of course. I am going to try only RLS Module. 530i is the donor car :) I have two more questions:
1. Manually entering new GM;SA;VN and then coding LCM (for example) does it mean that I write the new GM;SA;VN to LCM? I am not sure I explained it very well but anyway.
2. My friend has just told me that He noticed MANUAL VERTICAL HEADLIGHT AIM CONTROL does not work :) I checked the LCM coding, but MANUELLE_LWR is set to aktiv. Any ideas ?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
3,520 Posts
ZCS is the key how any module parameter value is coded. Original ZCS is coded to instrument cluster and EWS, but don't mess with those with this kind of coding. You can just change the ZCS and code any module according to it without saving that ZCS to any module.

If the donor LCM had xenons with automatic aim control (ohne man. LWR) it won't have the components to drive manual aim control. Automatic aim control has a separate LWR module for the task.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, we have to install LWR module in order manual aim control to work or is it not possible at all?

I've just tried to read RLS module, but this time during the process "coding is activ" NCS returned error. This is the error from error.log file:
"ERROR! Modul: A_RLS.IPS, Proc: Lesen, LineNr: 49, ErrorNr: 2062
COAPI-2062: error during reading coding data
RLS_DS2, C_S_LESEN: ERROR_BIN_BUFFER"

I've checked original BMW parts catalogue and found that part numbers for LCM are same for vehicles with or without xenon headlights. That makes me think that it is possible with the new LCM to control manual aim control. I've checked also the wiring diagrams for our 1996 E39 and for a 09/2001 E39 and they are the same for manual aim control.

·
Super Moderator
3,520 Posts
LWR module is only for the automatic aim. You can't get manual aim working with that LCM, you will need another version (mit man. LWR).

Does it give the same error if you try "READ ECU" function on RLS?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not check that. My friend went to sleep, because he was night shift and we'll meet on Thursday and then I'll try "READ ECU".

LWR module is only for the automatic aim. You can't get manual aim working with that LCM, you will need another version (mit man. LWR).
I am going to try to wire the old LCM in parallel, wiring only manual aim control cables to the unit :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts