BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,i have 2006 Bmw 530d E60 saloon with mysterious problem,i've tried many things and am running out of ideas,so decided to post here,in hopes on solving it.
Right,so it started a few months ago,when the cars starter died,we thought it was battery at first,so it got replaced,along with a new starter motor right after.
But the car wasn't starting after starter motor got replaced,it was just turning over,but no start.
I got it connected to ISTA-D and it was showing that my key is out of sync,so we resynced the key with DME,and it started straight up after that,no problem.
The car had run out of Mot,so i went to test it,it ran fine and passed mot with no problems whatsoever.
The next day i went for a drive and it just died while doing 60 Mph. I opened the bonnet and saw some diesel squirted on the engine.However i couldn't find where it had come from.
I got the car towed home,and connected to ISTA-D again,now it was showing a few problems,including fuel rail pressure,high pressure pump solenoid trouble e.t.c plus the high pressure pump wasnt working,as it would make a quiet humming noise when it was working,now nothing. I checked the fuses,and one of the main fuses had blown (the ones that are in engine area in box with ecu) i googled and found out that the blown fuse is the pump fuse. Since then,i've disconnected the positive lead from the engine,taken the intake manifold off,disconnected the rear pump,removed the pump control module,but the fuse still keeps blowing,every time i open the door or put the key in ignition.Obviously pumps won't engage as fuse is blown.
Right now i'm clueless as of what it can be and where,i don't know any bmw techs or garages in my area either.
Any help or fresh ideas would be appreciated,thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd say it's a failing fuel pump. Few things to try... Have you tried disconnecting the fuel pump and then opening the door and switching ignition on? Does it still blow the fuse? Definitely no pressure at the fuel rail? Have you tried swapping the fuel relay?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say it's a failing fuel pump. Few things to try... Have you tried disconnecting the fuel pump and then opening the door and switching ignition on? Does it still blow the fuse? Definitely no pressure at the fuel rail? Have you tried swapping the fuel relay?
Hi,yes tried swapping fuel relay,no change,tested the old relay,its good. I have now disconnected the rear pump,which changed nothing,disconnected the pump controller in boot,still no result,also took off the positive cable from engine,and unplugged the plug from high pressure pump solenoid,and it still pops thst fuse as soon as i open the door,and even if i swap the fuse with the door open,the fuse pops as soon as i put the key fob in ignition. There is no pressure in fuel rail,as the pumps won't engage while this fuse is blown.So far i have tested the in tank pump,by connecting it to other battery with wires,and it works good,haven't tested the high pressure pump. Still,i struggle with linking the fuse blowing,even with everything disconnected. What else does the car do,when you open the door?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok, that makes it clearer now. I was going to say also inspect battery compartment for water ingress but as you've disconnected the fuel control module you would have noticed water ingress straight away. Have you also tried disconnecting the sender unit on the left side? See if that makes any difference.

You must have a short somewhere for it to keep blowing the fuse. Carefully inspect the wiring supplying all the fuel components. Use a multimeter to check voltage at each connector. Open the control module and inspect it to make sure everything is in order.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, that makes it clearer now. I was going to say also inspect battery compartment for water ingress but as you've disconnected the fuel control module you would have noticed water ingress straight away. Have you also tried disconnecting the sender unit on the left side? See if that makes any difference.

You must have a short somewhere for it to keep blowing the fuse. Carefully inspect the wiring supplying all the fuel components. Use a multimeter to check voltage at each connector. Open the control module and inspect it to make sure everything is in order.
I will go over all the wiring tomorrow,see if i find something,thanks. I will let you know if i find something.
Thanks for help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here's the wiring diagram: Fuse F01

Disconnect all components (click on the numbers if you don't know the locations) and reconnect one by one to see if you can recreate the issue. You could also check the resistance of each, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Disconnect all components (click on the numbers if you don't know the locations) and reconnect one by one to see if you can recreate the issue. You could also check the resistance of each, too.
Thanks,i'll post an update,once i find something

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Hi,i just found what the problem was. It was diesel heater the one that comes on fuel filter (under the car passenger side),i unplugged it and car started straight away. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts