BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,my car is a 2006 320cd m47 engine.

So i went today to remap the car and when they put it on the dyno it only did 92 hp and 223 torque instead of the 150hp. This was a bit shocking but then again it did feel like the car in under powered. I also noticed some problems with the car after i changed all the injectors and removed the egr(and now its giving me a code and maybe puts me in limp mode).
So after i changed the injectors the cars developed a ticking noise but only when the car is warm and only from 3rd gear and up, if i rev it up to 2200rpm and let it decelerate till about 1200rpm everybody was telling me that is the transmission but today i did a drive test with INPA and seen that when the ticking noise comes up just before that my rail pressure desired and current jumps from 412 to 1000 and if i accelerate just a bit goes back to normal. Plus my injector 1 is going above 5 mg/storke when i accelerate but not all the times.
And one more thing my desired air mass is always half of what my actual figure is. I wonder is that because i removed the egr ?

The remap guy told me that it might be the turbo because you cant really feel that it kicks in at all maybe after 3000rpm. and when he did the scan it gave him these codes:

4501 egr code
4241 glow plug 4
4191 charged air pressure actuator
4521 charge-air pressure control,control deviation

I check the turbo today it has a small play and i removed the pipe that comes from turbo to intercooler and i can see some oil building up under acceleration .Check and cleaned the actuator it look like it's working fine.

The car only gives me two errors the egr and glow plug.
Would the charge air pressure fault come up only because the egr is removed or it has no connection?
Could my pressure control valve make a ticking noise or its and injector?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Get any smoke out the exhaust on hard acceleration? Bad turbo will smoke.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first time when the remap guy gave it a hard acceleration in 1st it left some black patch on the ground but no smoke .Even on the dyno i couldn't see any smoke coming out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You mention there is play on the turbo. Is this Radial play (Up and down, side to side) or axial play (in and out)? A small amount of radial play is normal as it will stabilise when oil lubricates the turbo. Axial play however is not and is a sign your turbo is on the way out.

However based on the fault codes you gave, It could be vacuum related. Does your car have an electronic actuator? I have the same car as you but 3 years older and mine is vacuum actuated. It could be a faulty actuator. Check all of your vacuum hoses and boost hoses for leaks (the top intercooler hose that connects to the egr is known to split). Check your pressure converters as well and your MAP sensor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Radial play only. Mine has the electronic actuator.I took it apart and gave it a good clean and tested it it was opening and closing like normal. Gave a clean to the MAF as wel.Ill try the MAP tomorrow. When it was idling i disconnected the MAF sensor and nothing changed i dont know if that's normal or not.

I also notice some fresh oil leaks coming from the back of the rocker cover would that have anything to do with all this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Car is supposed to run worse with the MAF disconnected. You may want to plug it back into inpa and check the air values to ensure that it is indeed the MAF that is faulty. Again check all of your boost hoses including the lower hoses on both sides of the intercooler for leaks.

It could be that your rocker cover gasket needs replacing. Thats the next job on mine although its more of a preventative maintenance task.

Is that what your turbo looked like in situ? Or did you give it a wipe? Mine had traces of oil when i opened it. Yours looks a bit dry.

Oil in the Crankcase hose is normal as the vapours are filtered back into the intake hose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a way to test the MAF ? Because on inpa i checked the reading and it's around 500 current and desired is around 250 but i think thats because i removed the egr i really need to code that thing out.

I might do the gasket next week if the wheather is good.

I gave a wipe to the turbo before just to see how much it builds back after few minutes of running.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Unfortunately i dont know. The basic test is to run the car with it unplugged if the car shows symptoms of rough running. If there is no difference with the MAF unplugged then the MAF is faulty.

I was gonna say that i never had to code my car after i removed my egr. But then i remembered yours is euro 4 which throws the eml light on whereas my euro 3 doesnt. Best to get that mapped out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank. I'll give it a try. Im going to a mechanic tomorrow maybe he can see something that i can't .

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm an ex aftermarket intercooler upgrade fitter - the very first thing we'd have disconnected the pipe from turbo to intercooler to see how much difference it makes to performance - very obvious when you do it and costs nothing. Then next put a pressure gauge in the same hose to see how much boost which if low can be several different things. (You can usually hear leaks) If the turbine blades turn freely and there is no mark scribed where they have touched the casing it may well be worn but not loosing noticeable power . The MAF from memory doesn't make much difference on some systems connected or not but can't speak for yours

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont think that i have an air leak because my boost pressure is always more than the desired by like 100 but it goes up 2300 when checking with inpa. I also noticed that my fuel rail gets very hot and that ticking noise only comes up when is hot , and the rail pressure jumps. Is it normal for the rail to get very hot?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ticking noise is often a leaky injector. They operate at high pressures, so if you've used an old seal it might leak. if you've not torqued it down it might leak. In your first post you even say that you replaced injectors and directly after that you got the ticking. I'd re-check the injectors properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They were torqued down to 10 nm(this is what i found online and in ista d)and new seals. When i was driving and checking with inpa injector 4 went up to 5.9 under accerelation but not always. Before it was injector 1 but i changed that now im.gonna change 4 back to one of the old ones and go from there..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts