BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, looking for some advice. I recently started looking for a good 330d, came across a 330d Saloon M Sport, well kept car to be honest, not much rust and interior was tidy with FSH at 100k miles.

So i went and inspected anyway, two main issues, the main one being how it started up, the engine was warm when i got there which was suspcious but dealer claimed it had flat battery which seemed legit since the car looked like it had been sitting a week or two due to leaves and surface rust on discs.

When turning it over, it would take around 3/4 seconds to start, a slight thump almost like an engine mount was worn but not quite and then it ran fine, idle wasnt rough, no smoke when holding revs at 3k and that was it.

Now is this normal with the 330d, or a sign or worn fuel pump/injectors? As i say the engine was at operating temp as the needle was in the middle, second time i started i turned to ignition and waited 5 secs to see if the fuel pump needed time to prime but the same again.

Everything else seemed fine, a bit of smoke when i took it out but it disappeared which i put down to being the car sitting, ive known a fuel diesels to pour out smoke after sitting. Rev’d smoothly, no white smoke or dodgy sounds.

Just looking for some general advice really, i know injectors can go on these cars, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,694 Posts
Well like you suspected sounds like typical leaky injector, definitely not normal. A simple injector leak off test would reveal this.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I've got a 2000 m57 manual - 3-4 seconds of cranking time is not normal (assuming the battery is good). A good battery and it should fire within 1-2 seconds and start smoothly. Long cranking can be a simple as a clagged fuel filter depressing the rail pressure and can also be indicative of a failing intermediate pump (the one under the passenger seat that you can hear priming when you turn the ignition on). Rough start probably a leaking injector but you'd expect to get smoke on start up if that's the case. If you can get a copy of INPA on it you can read the rough running controller stats on each injector which will tell you if one of them is out of spec - usually a good place to start but not as definitive as a leak off test. A leak off test is, however rather more involved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2005 X3 e83 3.0diesel when at idle can smell diesel smell from the exhaust l don’t know how clean they should run is that normal for a Diesel engine car runs smooth.

·
Super Moderator
3,694 Posts
Rough start probably a leaking injector but you'd expect to get smoke on start up if that's the case. If you can get a copy of INPA on it you can read the rough running controller stats on each injector which will tell you if one of them is out of spec - usually a good place to start but not as definitive as a leak off test. A leak off test is, however rather more involved.
Injector leak off which affects starting rail pressure has usually no correlation to injector correctional value (with diagnostics). Leak off tells more about the internal seals of the injector and correctional values about the nozzle (fuel atomisation).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have a 330d, it starts within 2 or 3 revolutions of the engine, i.e. around a second, so 3-4 seconds isn't normal. Mine has no smoke on start-up either.

I'm always VERY suspicious of viewing a car that has a hot engine - in your case that engine must have been run for quite a while before you got there, as these take quite a long time for the temperature guage to show normal operating temperature. I'd keep looking if I were you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts