BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help someone....this morning i had 2 new tyres on rear done . but on way home i heard a knocking . i pulled over and the shock absorber is just hanging there . the lower mount bolt has disapeared. can someone tell me what length and size bolt i need to get and how to get it back on cheers:confused

·
Registered
564 Posts
Do you mean that your shocker is not connected to the top mount any more?? Do not drive your car at all until you get this sorted!! It may be that your top mount has corroded and given way.....fairly common on E36's. get in to the boot and have a look to see if the top mount area is all in place or if it is starting to disappear? Could be just that your shocker has popped it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no its still connected at the top its the lower mount bolt thats fell out so its just hanging there i need a bolt to screw back in i looked on the other side where it goes and it has a bolt through it so just need to know the size and lenght of bolt. i looked in the haynes it only gives nm not the size

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hello i got a bolt but the thread was too tight for it to screw all way in i put it in couple turns was tight just to stop it flapping about i am trying to still get one as the dam thing has worked loose and fell out again . such a small thing doing my head in ..i emailed a breaker huh he knows i really want it and i asked how much he said dont know make me offer so i said 4 quid inc postage what you think guys is it shit price or do i need to offer more

·
Registered
11 Posts
hello i got a bolt but the thread was too tight for it to screw all way in i put it in couple turns was tight just to stop it flapping about i am trying to still get one as the dam thing has worked loose and fell out again . such a small thing doing my head in ..i emailed a breaker huh he knows i really want it and i asked how much he said dont know make me offer so i said 4 quid inc postage what you think guys is it shit price or do i need to offer more
:sarcastic...you need to get yourself down to a dealership and pay 91 pence for it. BMW Part:07119900402

Breaker is having a laugh :mad

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hello guys i got the bolt from bmw only 99pence each lol i put the bolt on but it seems to not want to tighten up maybe thats why the old one came out is there anyway of making it tighten like a washer or some sort of locking device

·
Registered
650 Posts
Is some of the old bolt still in there? I.e has the old one broken off? I'd be supprised if it had but worth a look! Other than that you might have to re-tap the threads, they should go in real easy.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no there is no thread in there it goes in ok and is not loose when tightening its when the head is almost flush it just turns wont tighten up. i got the part from bmw and am wondering now if its correct because its only threaded half way and solid at the hex end

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.