BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Possibly Rixster89, after clearing the code last night i started the car at 5am this morning and let it warm up for 5 mins. Got on the motorway and drove 20 miles home and touch wood the code hasnt come back......yet. I've just booked to have a hydrogen carbon clean done on Sunday morning. It has raving reviews and is relatively cheap if the reviews are to be believed

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Does this hydrogen carbon cleaning involve removing the intake manifold and and cleaning the intake valve.

If not you maybe wasting your money. The raving reviews maybe for owners of port injection engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Apparently it removes upto 90% of the carbon build up on the valves etc.....most of the reviews say it not a walnut blasting but its exceptionally good. There is a video on youtube of a guy with an Audi A5 on a dyno tune rolling road who saw an increase of 20bhp and the car was much smoother after a 30 minute procedure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi All, sorry not been on to update on the 320i.....had some personal stuff to deal with.

Anyway...update.....I have finally had the car throw me a code.....29E1 Mixture Control.....now, this code appears sometimes saying too lean and other times too rich.

I'm thing o2 sensors, not sure which so I'm thinking maybe change both.....opinions?????

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
23 Posts
I might be wrong but as far as I'm aware, you should have 4 O2 sensors and 2 cats on your exhaust. Each cat has one before and after. The ones after the cat only really measure cat performance. The ones before are the important ones that measure fuel ratio. These are the ones that you would probably need to look at if they are faulty. They are pricey so worth getting a propper diagnostic reading that will tell you what each one is measuring individually.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi Spangoolies, sorry ive not been around to see your post, I had some major misfires on the car last week which were resolved with changing the inlet manifold gasket. The code P0175 running too rich on bank 2 shows itself every 100-150 miles so I'm thinking about changing all of the o2 sensors, more due to mileage, and see what happens

·
Registered
820 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi All,

Sorry ive not been around, been away with work, anyway more updates and a little bit further down the line........

I got back in the car on Monday after my trip and started her up, immediately a lot of rough idling and misfires again. Had the car recovered to Sytner BMW in Nottingham who were happy enough to charge me £150 for what appears to be a 15 minute plug in (aka BMW Diagnostic report). Their computer said that all 4 injectors were misfiring, but please remember that all 4 have already been changed.

Anyway, I went and bought a brand new spanking set of injectors, all installed yesterday and the car drove lovely for about 20 miles. Parked it up over night and from cold start we have a misfire again......this is where it gets interesting.

Read the codes using Carly Pro and there it was, Misfire Cylinder 4, swapped over ignition coils with cylinder 3 and misfire disappeared, drove very very well, and using Torque Pro detected no misfires.....mmmmmm happy days.

Started the car from cold tonight and there it is again, rough idling and misfires, codes read again and this time Misfire on Cylinder 1.

So now I'm thinking that this makes no logical sense, a misfire can't just "jump" cylinders for no apparent reason......

I throw this to the floor lol..............

·
Registered
297 Posts
I only ask as Bosch ones can be swines as they won't seat if there is any oil on the plugs or around the valve cover , the coils need to grip the plugs as they don't clip onto the plug nipples like most coils. When I replaced mine they misfired like mad until I cleaned all the plugs and inside the coil boots with circuit board cleaner to keep them popping back up over time

Example video

https://youtu.be/IqMO1hxpq8M

Scroll down to FAQ with regards to new non snap on design

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/ignition-parts/ignition-coils

·
Registered
2 Posts
Root cause is timing chain... try everything you want, the timing chain has stretched and must be replaced

Normally everyone starts with plugs,ignition coil, injector if you replace step by step it will not go,do not do these steps.

Repairfix roadmap must be like that
Look for vanos cleaning first
(do not replace vanos, cleaning is enough.)
If It is same again, change timing chain.

:coffee: this is the solution :do not care the mileage of the car, timing chain impacts everywhere.

Briefly again
Bmw petrol 4 cylinder engines misfire problem is related to stretching of timing chain. Mechanic default error.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When you next drive your car from cold turn off the dsc off (hold down the the dsc button) then see if the hesitancy disappears. Report back if symptoms disappear

21 - 36 of 36 Posts