BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm hoping someone could help me out with my problem I'm having.

I went to work on Friday as I am delivery driver,I went into collect a delivery and when I got back to my car it didn't want to start so I tried a couple of ties and it was no good, so I called my bro to come and give me a jump start thinking the battery has just died and it wouldn't even jump star so I had to get it recovered.

I have had a new battery put in thinking the battery was gone but it still not working when I put my key into start the car it still won't start the raido lights and the dashboard lights up the only thing that don't come on is the little orange screen where the miles are displayed and when you push the start button the ignition don't come one.

I was thinking it may be the key as I have always had to unlock the car with the actual key and set the alarm off as the fob is a bit temperamental but it's always worked that way.

Is there anything else that could stop the ignition not coming on?

Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would suggest a diagnostic scan initially to see if anything is logged that would prevent ignition being switched on.
have you got a spare key to try just in case something has gone wrong with the key?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would suggest a diagnostic scan initially to see if anything is logged that would prevent ignition being switched on.
have you got a spare key to try just in case something has gone wrong with the key?
Hi mate thanks for your reply I have tried to do that but when I connect it to the car and run it the program from the laptop it keeps coming up insert dongle. And a spare key is one thing I don't have.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just a though but have you checked the fuses to make sure nothing is blown that prevents ignition turning on?
thinking about it now a scan was probably crap advise given the ignition not switching on,diag software needs ignition on to connect to the various modules.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a though but have you checked the fuses to make sure nothing is blown that prevents ignition turning on?
thinking about it now a scan was probably crap advise given the ignition not switching on,diag software needs ignition on to connect to the various modules.
Yeah I have checked and changed them to be on the safe side, I don't know if I can get another key done with how the car is?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

Sounds like the battery in your fob has completely died, hence I dont think its deactivating the immobiliser.....I could be wrong but that's my thought.

I would replace the battery in your fob as mentioned by the previous poster and go from there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As I understand...the transponder chip in the key requires a tiny power to send signal to the immobiliser, so if your key has completely failed, it wont send that signal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts