BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a BMW 318ti SE Compact - 2002. Covered 70k and recently when braking at any speed the cars steering wheel vibrates and jolts to the left. It appears that when it jolts to the left it does appear to stop vibrating, or at least get alot better.

It is worth pointing out this only happens when you slightly apply the brakes, if you apply them with some force it doesnt appear to vibrate, only when you apply the brake a little bit?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sounds like your brakes are warpped mate..

Does it vibrate at all when your just cruising?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesnt vibrate what so ever under normal driving. It does at about 110mph, but not often I sit at those speeds.

One other thing maybe worth noting, it only does it when the brakes are warm, i.e 4-5 mins after you start driving it.?

·
Legendary BFuk Member +1
1,138 Posts
i agree wi the lads m8..defo warpe discs..you mite find the shakn goes away wen you brake really hard coz wen you apply the brakes lightly ther is only slight pressure applied too the disc and not a lot off heat..weras..if your brakn really hard the the pads are biting hard into the disc and allowin no movement at all and the extreme heat also for a split second softens the disc ever so slightly...its hard too explain..am no brainbox at all...but if you can imagine spinnin a bent disc between your hands vertical position....the tighter you close your hands..the less movemnt ther will be in the disc..hope thet helps you...coz am startn too confuse myself now!:confused

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As strange as it does sound I know what you mean. Ive just took the wheels off the front and spun the disc around and it doesnt appear to be wharped, but im assuming that you wouldnt be able to see it with the naked eye.

What I think ill do is take to the merchanics on Tuesday AM and see what he thinks. I just pumped up the tyre pressures also just incase its that but I doubt it:!

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
It could be wear in those buses causing it to go left as well.
Get your mechanic to check the calipers have not started to sieze as well. Lilo who replied first had these problems with his compact :thumbsup

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will do! Annoys me when I read forum posts of all the problems but the outcome / solution / fault was never reported so people like me could be a littel clearer as to what problem I actually have!

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Will do! Annoys me when I read forum posts of all the problems but the outcome / solution / fault was never reported so people like me could be a littel clearer as to what problem I actually have!
Cheers. I couldnt have said it better. When people let us know, it enables us to point other people with similar problems to the thread :thumbsup
Thank you :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.