BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a E46 2005 318ci coupe that I've had for about 2 1/2 years, just been in for an inspection and I've been told there's a leak from the vacuum pump and they're recommending it be changed, just wondered what the expected price for that should be? I've been quoted what seems like a high price but looking around I'm not sure if it's actually reasonable? (admission - I'm pretty rubbish with cars!).

The quote I got from a dealer was for over £600, which seems high, is it? I was considering taking it to an independant near me who seems highly rated to get a second opinion.

TIA

·
Registered
11 Posts
He means air leak from the vacuum pump doggy. Bet you it's from the lid which is riveted on and prone to cracking :hihi. OP, cost of new pump is £250 so £600 is too high for disconnecting a few pipes. Have you thought about sealing the leak yourself?

·
Registered
238 Posts
BMTec in Manchester quoted me £150 labour for the job last year. There isn't much into it really. If you can find yourself a good local indy, you could save quite a bundle of cash from what I see.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
He means air leak from the vacuum pump doggy. Bet you it's from the lid which is riveted on and prone to cracking :hihi. OP, cost of new pump is £250 so £600 is too high for disconnecting a few pipes. Have you thought about sealing the leak yourself?

thats not the vacuum pump thats the air pump..

he stated vacuum pump???

an N42 engine does have a vacuum pump at the rear of the head on the engine....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked up the estimate last night, not got it to hand at work but yes it was the vacuum pump, think it was £250 for the for the part, plus labour plus VAT, think the total cost also included changing the rocker gaskets (?). I'm quite near autotech performance in telford who seem to have a good rep so might head over there to see what they think.

Will double check tonight (thanks for the comments on parts/labour costs)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts