BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I have a BMW 318 E46 -02, motor N42. The swedish vehicle inspection has not approved my car because of following error codes:
• P0011 Camshaft Position (A) - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)
• P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1)
With my own BMW scanner 1.3.6 following error codes occur:
• DME 2731 Inlet camshaft control
• DME 2781 Camshaft sensor, intake
I have done following:
• Exchanged the cam chain tensioner to the newer design
• Swapped the two vanos solenoids with each other
• Swapped the two camshaft sensors with each other
• Cleaned the contacts of the senors and solenoids
The error codes (2731 and 2781) remain unchanged after these actions. I think the error codes should have changed to bank 2 if there is a problem with a solenoid or a camshaft sensor. If I erase the codes they comes back immediately as soon as I start the motor.
The motor runs well and the emission control made by the car inspection was ok.
Do you have any ideas what it can be?

·
5,890 Posts
new camshaft sensor and/or exhaust sensor.
Most likely cam sensor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's possible that the timing has jumped, it's not uncommon on these engines.
Thanks for the answer.
Yes, that should probably explaine the fault codes.
But shouldn't I then notice anything in the engines behavior?
The engine works perfectly.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I would think so, perhaps just down on power a little? Otherwise it could be a break in the wiring loom?

If you're handy with a laptop it's worth installing specific BMW diagnostics like INPA or DIS.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have some new information.
If I rev up the engine to 3000 rpm in the start of engine and keep it above 1000 rpm before I shut down, there is no fault codes coming up.
If I rev up the Engine to 3000 rpm in the start of engine and then let it idle the normal 700 rpm, the faul codes is back again.
It looks like the fault codes appears when the engine is idling.
It also looks like the two fault codes (2731 and 2831) goes together.
Gives this information you any new ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, i have same problem on my n42b18, if you find any solutions please send me info or type here, i'll going to open engine for timing chain "correct", but i'm not sure 100% that it's chain

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi, i have same problem on my n42b18, if you find any solutions please send me info or type here, i'll going to open engine for timing chain "correct", but i'm not sure 100% that it's chain
So far I have no solution for the problem. I have now tried to Exchange the inlet camshaft sensor wit a new one. i didn't help.
I say the same to you, if you found the problem, please let me know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For your information. The problem is now solved.
It was a stretched cam chain causing the error codes.
You can check if you have a slack chain through the oil filling hole.

Also some of the platic guides for the cam chain was broken.
I could find some of this plastic parts inside the strainer of the inlet pipe to the oil pump.
Bmw wanted about 1750 Euro for the change of chain so I did it myself.
I then saved about 1500 Euro.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi I have the same problem with mine view clean both solenoids shaped them one for the other no joy renewed rulers changed chain guides and the up dated tensioner and I don't know how to get it sorted any help please thanks guys

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would be very confident that your problem is the CRANK Sensor. Problems on it cause problems for the cam which then triggers Cam Errors.

It would be very useful if maybe some of the old posters would post their resolutions but some might just have got rid of the car without resolving the issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you have the same error codes that I had you should exchange the chain.
It is not enough to just change the chain guides and tensioner.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Faulty inlet and exhaust vanos camshaft controls units can also give these errors. Remove the rocker cover and turn the engine on the crank slowly to check that the units are locking and keeping the chain tight at all times.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts