BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone just acquired this my first BMW,okay it's not new,can't afford new,was fairly cheap,anyway there was no MOT,and had a few issues since repaired by myself,dash lights,fitted a new pre cat lambda sensor and a new camshaft position sensor,bought a second hand CD Player bmw of course to replace the cassette.I put the car in for MOT the other day but was utterly horrified when the garage said that they could not finish with the emissions test as the car was smoking.There were no signs of the car smoking before the test,it is now however smoking but not while idling,just when you touch the accelerator,I Googled it for the most common causes,nothing seems to fit the symptoms,I'm pretty sure it's a bluish white smoke,I have ruled out the cylinder head,because the car is not overheating,and it's not plumes of white smoke,no visible signs of water mixing with oil,no cheese.I have done the CCV Test and kinda ruling that out also,it's not difficult to remove the oil filler cap,possibly it could be the VVC Sensor just below the oil filler cap under the cover,looks okay but sensor could be faulty,there is no burning smell from the cars exhaust whatsoever,just as I said a bluish white smoke when you accelerate,I'm hoping to do a compression test sometime this afternoon,clean plugs and replace if necessary,while I'm there put reddex down the bores and into the fuel tank,see if that helps,my guess is that it's more likely to be a hole in a piston or broken rings,valve stem seals,If it is I will have to scrap the car as I simply cannot afford it.Other things to mention thatbI haven't quite looked into are vacuum pump,catalytic converter,crankcase ventilation,actuator,there is a hole in the rear back box but I doubt that has anything to do with it.Well that's my problem any solutions welcomed.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts