BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of getting a conversion kit to have scissor doors on my 316 compact just wondering if any ones has done this and what it involves and if there are any issues or problems doing so?

Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
A few years back i did this to a vauxhall tigra :eek

It was amazingly straight forward to be honest as long as you have the right tools (air saw, powerfull drill, tap and die set ect)
It was simply a case of cutting the old hinges off and tapping wholes for the new hinges and bolting on the new hinges by 3 bolts.

If you have alittle mechanical knowledge, the right tools and alittle patience then it will no problem.

·
Registered
788 Posts
i did this too i did it on a fiesta they were lambo doors and were 90 degree hinges ( im pretty sure that the law says you can only have 75 degree in the uk ) the hinges i fit were universal and weld on not bolt on , this method is much harder and took about a week to set up correctly i also had to widen the front wings to allow clearance for the strutts to work correctly, if i was you i would get the bolt on type and get the correct ones for the car NOT universal, they should look good on a compact but saying that they are old news now the way forward is with suicide doors. i did try to talk my mate out of having them fitted on a fiesta but he was adamant so i went ahead and fitted them to be honest they did look good when finished here is one i saw at a show i was at:

and these are the ones i fitted :

·
Registered
217 Posts
No No No.

It might look good for a week or two. But unless it's done properly,
this will happen. Check out the front wing damage after 6 months use. (at the end of the thread)

Barryboys website is full of cars in a similar state.
Leave it alone!

http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29453

·
Registered
217 Posts
I became a member of Barryboys site to log in, post up some pics and view the non guest pages. Someone finds a bodged bodykitted car and slags it off. Cars owner finds out and defends the car's looks, then threatens the website with legal action to take the photos off 'cause the've put the numberplate on the internet for all to see!

Car owner then makes several mistakes - tries to back track and gets punished mercilessly!

Better drive around with it covered then, otherwise other drivers will see it as well!

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I personally think lambo doors look great................................................ On a Lamborghini:rofl

I was under the impression that this was a trend and had died:confused

One thing I will say is... If you like it then DO IT and don't listen to anyone who told you that you did the wrong thing!:thumbsup

If we all modified our cars the same way then there would be no point. The reason I modified my car was to make it stand out from the others and be unique. I also know for a fact that there are people out there that DO NOT like what I have done and that's fine by me... It's my car and I'll do WTF I want to do to it:hihi

If you go ahead can you please take lot's of pictures and possibly do a short write up?:cool It would be great to see what is involved and it would help future members should they wish to do the same thing:thumbsup

·
Registered
89 Posts
what about suicide doors, how hard would it be to fit them???
i like the idea but i think i'd be scared to do it to my future bimmer :D

·
Registered
788 Posts
im thinking of suiciding my rear doors , they are quite hard by what iv seen you have to get the right hinges and fit them on the opposite side of the door then fit the catch to the opposite side too but the finished result is much better than gull wing or scissors.

·
Registered
217 Posts
im thinking of suiciding my rear doors , they are quite hard by what iv seen you have to get the right hinges and fit them on the opposite side of the door then fit the catch to the opposite side too but the finished result is much better than gull wing or scissors.
Don't forget any electric cables for central locking/windows/speakers! :thumbsup

·
Registered
40 Posts
never on a bmw no no no lol

i had some on a honda civic and as long as you keep them adjusted they will work perfect make sure they are the best quality brackets u can find tho else u will regret it.. swaying in the wind, flimsy, just awful unless u got really good brackets

·
Registered
97 Posts
DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!
I have a Compact and would love to see what the car looks like with lambo doors. Ive seen kits for around £800 but dont know what else is involved with fitting them.

Like A20 Rym said....''If you like it then DO IT and don't listen to anyone who told you that you did the wrong thing!''

·
Registered
89 Posts
yea i say go for it, i want to suicide the doors on a e36 but dont think i can do that kind of mod to the car, and as for the elecrtics, you could extrnd them and run them down the side of the car or above the headlining ... just an idea really :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
can u find a pic of a E36 with Suicide doors?? i cant, plus wereca i get suicide door kits from?and how hard are to fit them,is there any paint work involved as i'd like to stay clear oof it, cos were i live its a rip off to get anything painted :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had lambo doors on my old rover was going a bit mad with modding it when i done them they had never been done to a rover. They were good to look at but a pain in the arse for evey day use.

·
Registered
89 Posts
no ways , My girlfriend had that bumper on herZR lol

took it off as it smashed to bits at 80mph + a rabbit lol
got the rally bumper

1 - 20 of 28 Posts