BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi help needed i have a 2004 330 sport and the other day the emission light came on a friend of mine pluged it into is snap-on computer and it came up with bank 1 cat i have tried to find out what that is and how much it would be on realoem but was not sure a friend of mine works for bmw mini and said he can get bits but needs part numbers so really i need to find that out any help would be great

thanks

·
Vendor
4,698 Posts
Don't ever take fault codes as being correct

Get someone who knows what to look for to look at your

It could save you alot of money

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know what bank 1 cat would cost and if anyone knows a part number
For it as I need to get the light put out and that's what I have been told it is

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have also had the immession light come on in the past. Turned out to be due to me using the lower octane fuel rather then the higher rate fuel. The light eventually reset itself after several refuels of the higher rate fuel. Hope this helps

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car run fine as it always has, the light did go out the other day for about a week and came back on just before Christmas I have just driven to Edinburgh. half way back the light went off I have been putting the normal fuel in it have but try to fill up from the same place

·
Registered
178 Posts
Code "Bank 1 Cat" is incomplete - is the car complaining of poor Cat efficiency with the fault code?

Also, does realoem show your car as having 2 Cats in parallel?

To echo BMChiptune - the fault codes can give you red herrings - my car was reporting faults with all 4 Lambda sensors as well as intermittant misfires and a few other things. Fault was a stuck CCV so the engine was breathing incorrectly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When we looked at what the 4 sensors were doing the one after the cat on bank 1 it was not as smooth as bank 2 after. as not knowing much about we want to make sure before I buy a cat

·
Registered
171 Posts
An effective catalyst damps the downstream sensor signal, so everything your saying suggests you need a new cat, although taking it for a good blast may help, it's unlikely.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it was the downstream sensor that was Different I have been to Edinburgh and half way back it went out I have been trying to find out what the cat part number would be for it but can't not find it would I be thinking its the cat on the engine ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
This happened 1 week before my MOT

I put some Wynns Emissions/MOT Cleaner solution through a half a tank of fuel and drove the car pretty hard.

About a week later I started her up and the normally rough 50sec cat warming sequence sounded really bad like it was genuinely coughing....

Then the light went out, and has been out ever since. I also sat with the engine at about 2100rpm for a while to heat the cat up for about 20mins a few days before the light went out.

Ive no idea what it was and the Emissions test in the MOT came back 0.000% I was very Happy.

I love my Moody N42B18A engine .... for some reason

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that's what it was saying the sensor after bank one was not giving the same reading as bank two saying the cat was not work right ? I as so can not find a part number for the cat is it the ones on the engine I'm trying to get a price but need the part number so a friend can get one from bmw

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.