BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2006 1 series, the starter button has suddenly stopped starting the car, it stops the car bit won't start it??? It lights everything up as its going to start, but just won't start it馃 anyone had any thing like this befor???

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the ignition comes on, but the car just does not start or fire up, the button is working because it stops the engine.
When you press the button in, the car does everything that it should do, all lights up. The petrol gauge moves as if its starting up, but just no engine.

Registered
2017 F32 440i MSport
How do you know the button continues to turn the engine off if it won鈥檛 start?
Any fault codes? Are you pressing the clutch/brake pedal fully when pressing the button (depends if it is a manual/auto as to which pedal). Could be a pedal switch?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you know the button continues to turn the engine off if it won鈥檛 start?
Any fault codes? Are you pressing the clutch/brake pedal fully when pressing the button (depends if it is a manual/auto as to which pedal). Could be a pedal switch?
So I have been bumping it at the moment to start it, and yes fully pressing the clutch pedal in, it's manual.

Registered
2017 F32 440i MSport
That makes sense.
Second hand buttons are between 拢10-拢20 on the bay, I鈥檇 be dropping a new button in to see if that sorts the issue. Also look at the clutch pedal switch, they wear and will stop the car recognising the clutch is down. Another sign of a failed switch is your cruise control won鈥檛 switch on.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That makes sense.
Second hand buttons are between 拢10-拢20 on the bay, I鈥檇 be dropping a new button in to see if that sorts the issue. Also look at the clutch pedal switch, they wear and will stop the car recognising the clutch is down. Another sign of a failed switch is your cruise control won鈥檛 switch on.
Are one has not got cruise control I dont think, I have ordered a second hand start button. Hopefully that will work馃檹 what is the switch called underneath the clutch pedal please?

Registered
Would think if the ignition is coming on with the press the button is doing it's job.
Starter motor would be worth checking out ans the switch on the clutch.
Get the switch checked out first thinking about it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would think if the ignition is coming on with the press the button is doing it's job.
Starter motor would be worth checking out ans the switch on the clutch.
Get the switch checked out first thinking about it.
Do you know what the switch is called Alan?

Registered
2017 F32 440i MSport
Without having the part number to hand, and guessing at your car model, I鈥檇 suggest it could be something like this:

To be sure I鈥檇 ask Cotswolds for the BMW version and part number.

Starter motor is a decent shout, although I鈥檇 suspect you might hear the solenoid attempt to turn if it were that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well its not the start button so that rules that out, just fitted another one and it does the same thing, so that narrows it down to the starter motor or the clutch switch then I suppose馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
2017 F32 440i MSport
That鈥檚 a buggar. Worth a go though given the relative cheapness of the part.
I鈥檇 be contacting Cotswolds on here, see if they can give you a quote for the correct switch.

Have you had any codes read? There should be some stored codes if sensors/switches fail.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you mean plug it in? If so, I haven't but I have a friend that can do it for me. Do you know how hard it is to change the clutch switch Wayne?

Registered
2017 F32 440i MSport
Yup, get the car codes read and see if that points to a specific issue. Always worth chasing specific issues through the codes, can take some of the guesswork out of the fault finding process.

I鈥檝e never changed a switch, but looks easy enough. Quick google will show how.

Do you get a yellow pedal on the dash when you drop the clutch and try to start?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will have a look when I get back and I will show you what it's doing Wayne if thats ok?

Registered
Get a fault code scan done before spending any more if you can.
Always the best thing to start with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts