BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I'm looking at purchasing a BMW 1 Series Coupe in either SE or M Sport trim, ideally the latter. But all depends on availability and what budget I can stretch to at the time, as I noticed M Sport demands a higher forecourt price.

The Car itself will either be a 10 or 60 reg. I don't really want to go any older than this. All the ones I have been looking at, have about 60k on the Clock. Having never looked at purchasing a Car with this before, it is a bit of a difference to me, I have always bought Cars with no more than 40k in the past.

I will buy one from a BMW Approved Used Car dealer. I spoken to a Salesman yesterday who said they are not allowed to sell the Car under thus scheme unless it up to set standards. However he kept urging me to place a Telephone deposit to secure the Car, to follow he said a lot of Customers place their trust and buy them this way...

However being old fashioned, placing deposit in person after viewing and getting a feel for the Car, and just to be on the safe side is there anything I should be looking for? I

I have looked at some down right rotters, and walked away

I hear about the N57D20 Engine having Cam Chain problems? What is the lifespan of the Chain? I read it is an Engine out job, or even a replacement if a rattling Chain causes Crankshaft wear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have got a 10 plate M Sport 120d which was bought 2 years ago with 43k and now it is on 74k and it runs absolutely great. Never had any issue with it and I am hoping that the cam chain problems do not affect the 10 reg cars. I googled the cam chain before buying and it seemed to be the 07-08 models that were affected with faulty chains, hopefully the 10/60 reg cars have got the better chains fitted.
My car is returning 55mpg even with some occasional spirited driving. Sadly as I haven't had any problems I can't advise on what things to look for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 118D 2010 m sport 30000 miles was not so lucky. Since I bought the car from BMW, in Aug 2015 to date 2 Feb 2016 the following has been done/replaced by BMW under warranty:

New Battery
New Turbos
New Clutch/Flywheel
Interior mirror
Difficult to close boot
plus other little things

Must say BMW are great when doing warranty jobs but what would it have been like if out of warranty? Shudder to think!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
A friend of mine has a 2011 118D and he's done 200,000km in it (German car). It's never missed a beat - no problems at all. He does have the oil changed every 10 or 12000km though as he doesn't believe in the very long service intervals.

Another friend has a 120D auto and it's still fine at 100,000 miles. BTW auto seems to suit this motor.

Others have reported expensive failures though - this may have been more common on the earlier cars though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts