BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First post as I am new here and am looking for some advice.

I bought a 05 645ci convertible a couple of weeks ago which I got quite cheap as I knew it had a few issues (oil leaks, broken springs etc), but one of thing really has me concerned which is occasional blue smoke.

The obvious candidate appears to be the stem seals, however (maybe optimistically) I am not convinced that’s what it is.

Summary of the issue
- Cold start (fine no smoke)
- Hard rev straight after cold start (fine no smoke)
- Left idoling for an hour (still fine)
- Hard rev after standing for an hour (blue smoke)

I am getting the oil leaks sorted next week and I was thinking of getting a Terra clean done as the car has stood for 8 months before I purchased it, but was wondering if others have experienced a similar issue.

Cheers

·
3,099 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Timm,

Just ordered a new one off ebay for £15 and hopefully it does the job and saves me £2,985!

Will update next weekend when its fitted.

Thanks again
Marc

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine did that from one exhaust. I followed Timm's excellent website advice and sure enough, the one on that side was split. Don't forget that there are two of them....

By the way they are only £17 from bmw - not a worthwhile saving from eBay if the dealer is local and you get the genuine part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

First post as I am new here and am looking for some advice.

I bought a 05 645ci convertible a couple of weeks ago which I got quite cheap as I knew it had a few issues (oil leaks, broken springs etc), but one of thing really has me concerned which is occasional blue smoke.

The obvious candidate appears to be the stem seals, however (maybe optimistically) I am not convinced that’s what it is.

Summary of the issue
  • Cold start (fine no smoke)
  • Hard rev straight after cold start (fine no smoke)
  • Left idoling for an hour (still fine)
  • Hard rev after standing for an hour (blue smoke)
I am getting the oil leaks sorted next week and I was thinking of getting a Terra clean done as the car has stood for 8 months before I purchased it, but was wondering if others have experienced a similar issue.

Cheers
Hi, the problem you’ve got be the Ccv valves, change them first cause there the cheap option, otherwise sounds like your valve seals are gone and need replacing... main symptoms are when the car in warm and upto temp, you leave it idling for a few mins, and then when you accelerate You get blue smoke from exhaust. The cloud of blue smoke from exhaust is cause bu oil leaking past the valve seals and into the exhaust. If you want them change them on you bmw n62 You can rent out a kit to do it here: Bmw tool rental

1 - 5 of 5 Posts