BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turbo started to whine one miles from my destination today. When I arrived I was losing power over 1000 revs.

It has a little power left, would it be ok to journey home at low revs for 150 miles (mainly motorway) or should I call the recovery truck?

·
Registered
648 Posts
If i was you, i'd call a tow truck. Your car is already suffering, so why risk it? That's just my opinion though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
150 miles is a long way if it stops on a friday night.... plus may (will) do some damage. Diesels can run on their own oil and become dangerous to you and it..

I also think driving it is risky, and normally I would say go for it....

Drove a car home 300 miles stuck in 3rd once, seat leon 20vt.

How many miles and what servicing was done? Tuned at all?

Good Luck...!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
regularly dealer serviced, 100k miles. Called the recovery co anyway. 3 hours of small talk ahead!

·
Premium Member
12,946 Posts
sure turbo has blown? or its just a turbo boost control problem or leaking pipework problem? if its either of these its safe to drive all be it wont be pleasurable and a total slug,if its grenaded ie:eek:il seals gone or impeller shaft collapsed etc ide trailer it home...

·
Registered
351 Posts
do not drive the car , if the turbo has blow and the breaings have collapsed , the turbo will be leaking oil in to the intake system , now you dont have to be a rocket sientist to know what coming here , when the engine oil starts to enter the intake system this can ignite in the cylinders , and if enough oil is present it will start to feed on this oil , you have now lost control of the engine , you can switch it off and remove the key , but you will find that the car is now running on the rev limit . you can try to stop i with the clutch , but i have seen them blow at this high rpm as well , i have see 3 diesels rev them selfs to destruction . so any one tell you its safe , is speaking utter shite .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts