BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi had my old open diff sent of to Birds Garage as they the only ones who can do the welded diff conversion to be reworked and have a Quaife diff installed. Had car back for around a week and within 20 miles its failed big time with the crown wheel being chewed up and then the pinion bearing failing also giving up on me. The garage who fitted the diff said they only connected the diff so cannot see how it is their fault as oil correctly filed and all they did was connect the final drive to the crank shaft and now Birds are saying that its not their fault as they said they've done over 3000 of these and never has one failed like mine. I've said to both garage and Birds that I will not be paying penny more as I left the car with perfectly good diff and now I have one that doesn't work at all. The chap at Birds (Kevin the managing director) was most unhelpful and I can see this being taken to court as from my point of view they had the crown wheel off and they are the only ones that touched the internals of the diff. Apparently they inspected crown wheel before it was put back together and all was fine. Anyone had similar problems before as thought they were a reputable company but now beginning to question this.

·
Vendor
4,134 Posts
Give me your number and I’ll put you in contact with a few that have had this problem

Have you got any phots of the wear on the crown wheel

Was your diff quiet before you gave it to them?

As they don’t change the bearing or seals when they rebuild the diff

I’ve also go videos of a customers car where they took out the diff to look at it said it was all fine and changed him over £650
He picked up his car drove straight to us to look at it and the diff side bearing were worn with over 5 mm of play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Give me your number and I’ll put you in contact with a few that have had this problem

Have you got any phots of the wear on the crown wheel

Was your diff quiet before you gave it to them?

As they don’t change the bearing or seals when they rebuild the diff

I’ve also go videos of a customers car where they took out the diff to look at it said it was all fine and changed him over £650
He picked up his car drove straight to us to look at it and the diff side bearing were worn with over 5 mm of play

Hi my number is 07739732443 and yes my diff was completely silent before it went in. The only thing birds said to me was that the side bearings showed signs of wear but nothing that required immediate attention and they were happy to go ahead and do the conversion

That would be great as at moment Kevin is saying definitely isn't their fault and I can see this going to court as they are asking for another £1100 for a final drive unit as mine is shot to pieces!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi my number is 07739732443 and yes my diff was completely silent before it went in. The only thing birds said to me was that the side bearings showed signs of wear but nothing that required immediate attention and they were happy to go ahead and do the conversion

That would be great as at moment Kevin is saying definitely isn't their fault and I can see this going to court as they are asking for another £1100 for a final drive unit as mine is shot to pieces!
Some more pics

Attachments

·
Vendor
4,134 Posts
It looks like the pinion shaft hasn’t been heat-treated or tempered so having a soft metal which is worn away ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts