BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be upgrading my sound system soon and i am going to have to upgrade the alternator does anyone know where i can get a bigger alternator the amp i want to run is capable of 250amps thats the maximum it can draw

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I am going to be upgrading my sound system soon and i am going to have to upgrade the alternator does anyone know where i can get a bigger alternator the amp i want to run is capable of 250amps thats the maximum it can draw
Have you considered running a split charger and second battery?

I did this on my car when it had the 1.8 engine. Now I have a stinger power capacitor. I've never had any issues with either method:thumbsup

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i never thought of that thanks did you put your second battery in the boot if so where did you run the power cables under the car or inside the car thanks

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
i never thought of that thanks did you put your second battery in the boot if so where did you run the power cables under the car or inside the car thanks
The battery was in the boot where it would be on the 6 cylinder model and the wire followed the 6 cylinder route which is down the driver side. You'd be surprised at the size of the wire required to supply the juice to the second battery, it's only thin. All that's needed is a relay and a length of wire.

It was a long time ago but IIRC I replaced my alternator for a 6 cylinder one.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER let anyone advise you to run a wire under/outside of the car.

I can get pictures of the route you will need to take if required... and providing the weather is fair:thumbsup

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i wasnt happy to run a wire under/outside of the car when my mate suggested it i though it was a stupid idea (and he is a mechanic). i looked at a site and your right the cable is thin its like 4 awg or 8 awg

I can get pictures of the route you will need to take if required... and providing the weather is fair: thanks these would help its ok if you dont manage to take them

thanks

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
i wasnt happy to run a wire under/outside of the car when my mate suggested it i though it was a stupid idea (and he is a mechanic). i looked at a site and your right the cable is thin its like 4 awg or 8 awg

I can get pictures of the route you will need to take if required... and providing the weather is fair: thanks these would help its ok if you dont manage to take them

thanks
I will take the pictures when you let me know you have received the parts and I know you are definitely going ahead with the plan:thumbsup

I thought mine was smaller than 8 gauge:confused Like I said though, It was a long time ago:hihi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts