BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad times...
Last month i was travelling along a dual carraigeway on a mildly wet road at approx 50mph, the back end stepped out a tad, usually easily corrected. However the steering stuck a little when trying to correct and eventually over corrected and the back end snapped out. I ended up going backwards before hiting a kerb spining back around and hitting a s class mercedes Head on.

Thankfully no one was hurt badly, hoever my question is this. The steering is a pivotal part of the car and therefore a saftey issue if it has any faults. BMW have admitted the fault in the states so why not here? This Accident could have been so much worse but still shouldnt have happened in the first place.

My question is this, why dont all Z4 owners join forces and take out proceedings against BMW to get this fault fixed...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently if you take the steering column apart and found a bearing that is anything but good engineering. There is a bearing in the middle of the steering column that is not sealed. With time and with heat the lubricant gets dry and cakes up.
When the lubricant begins to dry out and cake up the the steering column shaft can no longer move smoothly. Caked up material creates little peaks and valleys. the rollers want to stay in the valley and when you turn the steering wheel wheel the rollers resist till it gets over the top of the caked up peak then it rolls into the next valley where it again resists movement.

·
Administrator
11,494 Posts
Apparently if you take the steering column apart and found a bearing that is anything but good engineering. There is a bearing in the middle of the steering column that is not sealed. With time and with heat the lubricant gets dry and cakes up.
When the lubricant begins to dry out and cake up the the steering column shaft can no longer move smoothly. Caked up material creates little peaks and valleys. the rollers want to stay in the valley and when you turn the steering wheel wheel the rollers resist till it gets over the top of the caked up peak then it rolls into the next valley where it again resists movement.
not come across this on the forum before

BMW have admitted the fault in the states so why not here
consumer law is different to over here and you would not have much chance of winning a case in our courts so BMW know they can get away with doing nothing

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its ridiculous, whats happend to safety and customer satisfaction? I love my BMW's having owned several m cars. I should have opted for the z4m in the first place... wouldnthave had this issue!

Reactions: payno

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too right, its becoming a joke. Cant say or do anything without being done for it, whereas the big companies can get away with murder... literally. Sickening

1 - 7 of 7 Posts