BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 318ci M Sport needs all 4 tyres replacing. The sizes are 255/35/ZR18 (90Y) on the rears and 225/40/ZR18 (88Y) on the front. The front tyres are the original Michelin's and have done 76,000 miles which I think is incredible! However they are very noisy at 15mph - the rubber must be hard to have lasted this long.
The rears have been replaced once but need replacing again.
I want to ensure I do not have a repeat of the noisy front tyres, but want good value tyres i.e. £ per mile.
I do not mind paying the higher price if they will last.
Can anyone recommend the best value brands / types...
Thanks
Phil Worrall

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Wow, you don;'t want noise, but ideally something that will last........ and are willing to pay if need be....... :cool

Goodyear Excellence/Eagle F1 Asymetric - very good value (not as expensive as what you may think), awesome performance in all conditions, amazing wear rates and even perform until they get to around 1.4/1.6mm unlike many tyres where they become less efficient by 2.5mm of tread. Road noise is quite good, not excessive for a premium tyre.

Continental Sport Contact 2 or 3 - the most sublime tyre in terms of steering feel along with a smooth and the quiestest ride possible (due to less tread blocks which means less noise). Dearer than the Goodyear, the outright grip isn't as much as the Goodyear or Michelin, but lets say I'm very happy with their grip levels.......... wear rate is a shorter than the Goodyear.

Pirelli - The P-zero's are noisy and not particularly great performers in weat/greasy conditions. Bets to avoid these unless you know what you are doing and the don't last very long, have the shortest life span within the premium Ultra High Performance tyre sector.

Micehlin Exalto or Pilot Sport 2 - like the good year but the most expensive.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Oh for the longest lasting tyres, Falkens are worth a look, the FK452 have high performance levels comparable with the best from the well known premium names, but they are slightly noisier in comparison to the 3 mentioned above but the Falkens will be about 1/2 the price.

Very impressive performance and amaxingly cheap for what they are, although each quarter Falken do increase their product price so get them cheap whilst you can.

We tested a set of Falken ZE512 against the Michelin Primacy on an Audi A4 2.5Tdi and the Falkens went on for considerably longer under the same conditions compared to the Primacy.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am getting falkens with my new wheels, I have 2 on my rear wheels at the moment and the grip in wet is really good although slightly noisy on dry roads. I went for the falkens due to the price and grip levels. We only get about 2 months of summer here anyway so the rest of time its mainly wet so Falkens for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Phillip i just bought myself four Yokohama tyres on e-bay for £368 with package all in they were 225/40/18 now theres a bargain their called Parada i know sonds a bit pontsi but the rubber on them looking good and the tyre pattern looks bad dont know if thats any good for you but checking them dont cost nothing and at the end of the day they are Yokos.

G

·
I've got Bridgestone Potzenas REO50A's on my 2006 318Ci M Sport Convertible, they are really good and provide a very quiet drive, however are a bit pricy (£235 per tyre)...

Fantastic tyre though...

G

·
I've got Bridgestone Potzenas REO50A's on my 2006 318Ci M Sport Convertible, they are really good and provide a very quiet drive, however are a bit pricy (£235 per tyre)...

Fantastic tyre though...

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
Wow, you don;'t want noise, but ideally something that will last........ and are willing to pay if need be....... :cool

Goodyear Excellence/Eagle F1 Asymetric - very good value (not as expensive as what you may think), awesome performance in all conditions, amazing wear rates and even perform until they get to around 1.4/1.6mm unlike many tyres where they become less efficient by 2.5mm of tread. Road noise is quite good, not excessive for a premium tyre.

Continental Sport Contact 2 or 3 - the most sublime tyre in terms of steering feel along with a smooth and the quiestest ride possible (due to less tread blocks which means less noise). Dearer than the Goodyear, the outright grip isn't as much as the Goodyear or Michelin, but lets say I'm very happy with their grip levels.......... wear rate is a shorter than the Goodyear.

Pirelli - The P-zero's are noisy and not particularly great performers in weat/greasy conditions. Bets to avoid these unless you know what you are doing and the don't last very long, have the shortest life span within the premium Ultra High Performance tyre sector.

Micehlin Exalto or Pilot Sport 2 - like the good year but the most expensive.
Good advice:thumbsup

From my personal experience I have found the following. I think a lot is down to the car they are fitted to, what maybe good on one car will be rubbish on another. Anyway:

Good Year Eagle F1's - wear quickly. I have used them a few times before and currently have them on the front of my car. I find there is a lot of tyre noise on the motorway. Grip is fantastic.

Continentals - wear amazingly well and grip is good. However, both myself and my dad have had motorway blow-outs on sport contact 2's. My front-wheel blow-out led to me leaving the motorway via the embankment backwards...

Pirelli's - gash in the wet.

Michelin's - not tried them myself by are very highly rated.

Falkens - I have read about strange wear issues. Also when they wore on my brothers car the grip was shocking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.