BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished a 18 month contract with BT BROADBAND and can only say they have been shite, so was just wondering who should I go with now,preferably one with uk call centres all suggestions appreciated,cheers

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just finished a 18 month contract with BT BROADBAND and can only say they have been shite, so was just wondering who should I go with now,preferably one with uk call centres all suggestions appreciated,cheers
I've been with AOL for the past 2 years and it's pretty cheap for unlimited, I think I'm paying around £13.
Bit of pot luck with the call centres though, if your lucky you get to speak to somebody in Ireland if not then it's 'Kevin' from Mumbai!:sarcastic

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
It varies depending where you live, so only someone within a few miles of you is a valid comparison. Before you bin BT, check if they have or will soon lay in the new high-speed cabling - it's available only via Plusnet (who are BT!).

Otherwise, the rest will almost certainly use BT lines which are most often the limiting factor. If you have cable, check your provider for that too.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
it's 'Kevin' from Mumbai!

I know him well lol
that's my cousin and his real name is "Kevannambalam Ramanathan"!

have tried a few world wide wait providers over the years

AOL = good but expensive (at the time)
Plusnet (good)
BE - bloody excelllent at £7.50/month unlimited

·
Registered
506 Posts
It really does depend on your area but if you've got Sky TV then their broadband is definately worth a try. Theres deals to be had along with line rental and call packages and if you have the unlimited one you can watch your subscribed channels through your computer, a bit like poor man's multi room.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
I can help you if you PM me, we have a team at work set up to compare all rates and speeds etc from every major provider, we also check your local speed...

Let me know if I can help :thumbsup

·
Registered
515 Posts
Dont bother with sky its as reliable as a chocolate fire gaurd got rid 3yrs ago never looked back as im now with 02 just over 7 quid for 8 meg getting 6meg eveb at peak times unlimited usage and theres three pcs running more or less all the time never had any issues.
need a bt line to have it though but don'nt we all have one of those?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
Guys depending on where you are in your town and where you are in your country will depend on how good a connection you're going to get, so unless you're talking about quality of customer service people will have a different experience with the same supplier, one person's sh!te connection with supplier X could be the best connection someone else has ever has...

Also a good idea to see what type of router is being given for free as some are better than others and they really do make a difference!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Dont bother with sky its as reliable as a chocolate fire gaurd got rid 3yrs ago never looked back as im now with 02 just over 7 quid for 8 meg getting 6meg eveb at peak times unlimited usage and theres three pcs running more or less all the time never had any issues.
need a bt line to have it though but don'nt we all have one of those?
Guys depending on where you are in your town and where you are in your country will depend on how good a connection you're going to get, so unless you're talking about quality of customer service people will have a different experience with the same supplier, one person's sh!te connection with supplier X could be the best connection someone else has ever has...

Also a good idea to see what type of router is being given for free as some are better than others and they really do make a difference!
With Sky I got the black Sky branded Netgear router which I think looks better than the old white routers and its an absolute doddle to set up as the network name and number is printed on the bottom. I have 2 PS3s (which often require large updates), 2 Vista Laptops, a Nintendo Wii and 2 BlackBerrys all connected to it and while I havent tried them all at the same time we regularly have the 2 PS3s playing online and a laptop running uTorrent all at the same time without any issues. I pay for the top package because I dont want DL limits and I find being able to watch Sky TV on the Laptops useful but I have it bundled with other services so receive a discount. I dont know how fast my connection is and dont really know how to find out tbh but I can DL a feature film in under an hour and music albums take literally a few minutes. I ought to mention that I live in the Chesterfield area of Derbyshire and I'm only about 2 1/2 miles from the exchange.

Customer service is a bit hit and miss and it really does depend on who you speak to, some are really good and some are utterly useless but the only time I've needed them was when we moved house.

You have to be a Sky TV subscriber.

Also, my line rental is with Sky, not BT.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, Sky isnt too bad, call the customer support after 6pm and you generally get someone from their Derby call centre. Just moved to Virgin (Friends and family package) and the router is 10x better than even the black netgear sky router thought you do tend to speak to "Delhi Dave". My favourite broadband supplier though is BE*. You can tune your line to support better gaming using fastpath. BE* have a very low contention rate as they use their own backhaul network, not BT's backhaul.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
great replys everyone,no cable in my area (north manchester) but skys looking favourite at the moment,but could do with finding out when or if bt are upgrading to faster lines in my area.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
aol is crap for BB dropout where i live, good job i have auto reconnect or it would be a pain in the arse..

SKY crap never seen such P=ss poor speed variation...

·
Registered
165 Posts
If your BB connection comes down a phoneline, then no matter which company you pay for it, your net access always has to go through a BT telephone exchange. So the quality of your net basically depends on how far you are from the exchange, and how many other users locally are on the same UBR (thats basically your ISP's server building).
Cable will always be faster than phoneline, although the customer call centres for virgin media (thats is the ONLY cable company nowadays) are mainly in India (although if you call at certain times theres a chance you can get a uk centre).
BT is introducing a new service called 'infinity' over the next couple of years, which will basically be like virgin media and use fibre optic cables, no pricing has been announced yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Our whole internet system is a joke. Take a look at other countries speeds and cost. As usual us UK citizens pay more for less. To sum it up, its a lottery but its mostly sh!te whoever you are with.

(And for the record BT and Sky seem to have the monoply and treat their customers as nothing more than cash cows.)

·
Registered
737 Posts
just sign a 12 month contract with bt, unlimited call and unlimited broadband 13 pounds amonth plus 13 pouns a month line rental

1 - 18 of 18 Posts