BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between cheap breakdown cover and more expensive cover?

If I look at the table below for example, there are big differences in prices between companies for what seems like the same level of cover. Why? What is the difference?

breakdown cover comparison

Am I missing something?

Anyone recommend who is good and who to avoid?
Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just through my own experience, the cheaper cover gets you a lift for you and your car to wherever you need to go to (garage, home, original destination etc, as per policy). The more expensive policies will involve having a go to get the car up and running where you've broken down. If they aren't successful, you get transport for you and your motor. Depending on the policy, you may have hotel cover etc.

Again, this is just what I've noticed through the different policies I've had over the years. No doubt the AA and RAC are expensive compared to some other providers but I'm with the AA and I really can't see me changing unless they put their premiums up next year.

I suppose it all comes down to who is going to get you out the sh1t if you and your loved ones are stuck in the arse-end of nowhere at 02:00...the chap in the smart yellow van with all the gear and some idea or the clueless 18 year old who leaps out of a knackered 1999 LDV transporter which is held together with hope and Gripfill!! It's worth a tenner a month more for the former if you ask me.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
ive had very cheap cover and was impressed,,,2gether was the company,,but when the truck came for my car focus st,,,it had livery for RAC and some other company,,so they jjst bget the closest company to you that are on their books, i asked the driver where he was from,,and was a place 20 miles from me,also just bought some cover for when i go on a trip down south,,less than £25 which includes lots,,ie onward travel/roadisde/home start etc tec...so just do a google for cheapest breakdown,,the company ive went with this time is dynamo ,the cover only includes 1 rescue,,but you can choose 5/6 rescues etc for a little more money

·
Registered
274 Posts
Both myself and my girlfriend are with Start Rescue. We pay about £30 per car, a year for their level 3 cover

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
With the AA you can always upgrade to the cover you need at the roadside. Also call them. My quote this year for family membership was £300. A call later and it’s £180. For all cover.
I’ve only ever seemed to need it at 02:00 in the middle of nowhere

Edit: they always do great intro deals before anyone says I’ve overpaid

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive had very cheap cover and was impressed,,,2gether was the company,,but when the truck came for my car focus st,,,it had livery for RAC and some other company,,so they jjst bget the closest company to you that are on their books, i asked the driver where he was from,,and was a place 20 miles from me,also just bought some cover for when i go on a trip down south,,less than £25 which includes lots,,ie onward travel/roadisde/home start etc tec...so just do a google for cheapest breakdown,,the company ive went with this time is dynamo ,the cover only includes 1 rescue,,but you can choose 5/6 rescues etc for a little more money
Ok thanks. Yes I guess that's a good point. You only ever expect to use them once in a blue moon so why bother paying over the top for an expensive well known brand.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Ok thanks. Yes I guess that's a good point. You only ever expect to use them once in a blue moon so why bother paying over the top for an expensive well known brand.
exactly,,if i did more lengthy trips per year then id go for 5/6,,but as you say,,how many times have you actually called them out,,rac/aa etc are a rip off

1 - 8 of 8 Posts