BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right chaps, I've been away from the biking scene for two years (due to moving somewhere without a garage) but now I'm in the market for another one. For info, my last bike was a '94 YZF 750.

I want a big sports bike (so nothing 600 or less) - and it needs to be suitable for a big chap (i'm nigh on 6'5" and 18st). What's your recommendations and why?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had an Aprilia RSV1000 mille up until last year, I am 6"2 & 18 stone, seemed to fit me ok... Sold it for 2k, 2001 with 20k miles on it...
Have you ridden other bikes around the same era / budget? How does it compare? I've never owned a v-twin.

·
Registered
295 Posts
gsxr750 k3, awsome bike:thumbsup

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi ya mate,

I bought a Hayabusa on a 2000 plate for £3200.

As im sure your aware it is a balistic missile and cant get much faster on the road (apart from the new BMW 1000RR).

I am 6 foot 5" and about 15 stone and this bike is perfect for me. i have had some bikes in the past and this is ideal for any big bloke. Riding long distance or blatting through the twisties it is sweet.

Im sure there will be other opinions out there but this is mine.

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
I agree with Kevin re the Aprilia - I had the later model and I'm 6'1'' and never felt cramped - it was unusually (for an Italian) reliable. Now the new model is out and popular the 2004-2008 models are cheap as chips.......often cheaper than the model kevin had. Only about 125 bhp though so not much more than a 600.

'Busa's can be a bit pricy and are more a straightline bike.

I had an excellent Thunderace for 4 years and they're sub £1500 if you can find a good one.

Some folk like the Honda Blackbird, but a bit 'tourer' maybe

If you can find a good early one - the KTM RC8 is incredibly comfortable for bigger riders? Not sure they're sub-£3k yet though?

The BMW R1100S is roomy too - not particularly fast but an excellent bike and well built. Early ones may struggle to be sub £3k?

I'd suggest trying an early ZZR1400 - roomy and bonkers fast. A bit like the Busa they're better in a straightline, a well-ridden one will keep up with the Blades, Gixxers etc.

My mate had a Gixxer K7 and I was surprised how roomy it was vs my Blade. The K5 is supposed to be the 'best'' model, but I've no idea about price.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Loadsa choice!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi ya mate,

I bought a Hayabusa on a 2000 plate for £3200.

As im sure your aware it is a balistic missile and cant get much faster on the road (apart from the new BMW 1000RR).

I am 6 foot 5" and about 15 stone and this bike is perfect for me. i have had some bikes in the past and this is ideal for any big bloke. Riding long distance or blatting through the twisties it is sweet.

Im sure there will be other opinions out there but this is mine.
What's the handling of a 'busa like compared to a modern ish 750. One of the things I didn't like about my YZF is that it had quite a long wheelbase, so didn't have the 'flickability' I'm after.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with Kevin re the Aprilia - I had the later model and I'm 6'1'' and never felt cramped - it was unusually (for an Italian) reliable. Now the new model is out and popular the 2004-2008 models are cheap as chips.......often cheaper than the model kevin had. Only about 125 bhp though so not much more than a 600.

'Busa's can be a bit pricy and are more a straightline bike.

I had an excellent Thunderace for 4 years and they're sub £1500 if you can find a good one.

Some folk like the Honda Blackbird, but a bit 'tourer' maybe

If you can find a good early one - the KTM RC8 is incredibly comfortable for bigger riders? Not sure they're sub-£3k yet though?

The BMW R1100S is roomy too - not particularly fast but an excellent bike and well built. Early ones may struggle to be sub £3k?

I'd suggest trying an early ZZR1400 - roomy and bonkers fast. A bit like the Busa they're better in a straightline, a well-ridden one will keep up with the Blades, Gixxers etc.

My mate had a Gixxer K7 and I was surprised how roomy it was vs my Blade. The K5 is supposed to be the 'best'' model, but I've no idea about price.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Loadsa choice!
The cheapest local RC8 to me is £6k - so that's a no go. My budget is around £3k - I'd got to £4k for the right bike.

Was that the 1000 K7 or the 750 your mate had?

·
Registered
295 Posts
What's the handling of a 'busa like compared to a modern ish 750. One of the things I didn't like about my YZF is that it had quite a long wheelbase, so didn't have the 'flickability' I'm after.
like comparing a yatch, a very fast yatch, to a jet ski lol

Reactions: mikaveli

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
The cheapest local RC8 to me is £6k - so that's a no go. My budget is around £3k - I'd got to £4k for the right bike.

Was that the 1000 K7 or the 750 your mate had?
Yep the 1000. I hear the 750 is very highly rated too, but haven't tried one myself.

Flickability vs your size might be a challenge (no offence!) as a shorter wheelbase is necessary and that rules out Busa, ZZR etc in factory form. What about an early FireBlade -they were larger than the current?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Im sorry but I have had My 'Busa for nearly 2 1/2 years and I can garantee it is DEFO flickable. I can keep up (and beat) some of the 1 litres and 600s I ride with. Either im good on a bike or they are terrible or its just that the Busa can hang it with the best.

Dont want to turn this thread in of me defending the 'Busa but it defo can handle....:hihi

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
As an afterthought (and maybe licence saver) - have you thought about a naked? There was a test on several in the current Bike magazine.

also - further to me other list - Triumph ST? A bit too tourer maybe?

·
Registered
488 Posts
the 750's been highly rated since the k4/k5 model so you can't go wrong with them onwards. The k4/5 are much bigger higher than the k6 onwards so try them out for comfort first. I'm only 5'8'' so the k6 onwards suit me fine.
the k5/k6 1000 are proper missiles but not sure you can pick them up for £3/4k but have a look. Failing that the k4 will NOT disappoint you.
Stay away from the 04-06 R1s...they are an acquired taste. The power delivery is high up the rev range and the torque ain't all that but when it kicks in boy does it go! I loved mine for the handling and learned (over time) to appreciate the revy nature of the engine and grew to love the anticipation of the power coming in like a kick down in an automatic.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Or a decent supermoto....

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
the 750's been highly rated since the k4/k5 model so you can't go wrong with them onwards. The k4/5 are much bigger higher than the k6 onwards so try them out for comfort first. I'm only 5'8'' so the k6 onwards suit me fine.
the k5/k6 1000 are proper missiles but not sure you can pick them up for £3/4k but have a look. Failing that the k4 will NOT disappoint you.
Stay away from the 04-06 R1s...they are an acquired taste. The power delivery is high up the rev range and the torque ain't all that but when it kicks in boy does it go! I loved mine for the handling and learned (over time) to appreciate the revy nature of the engine and grew to love the anticipation of the power coming in like a kick down in an automatic.
R1 maybe too small anyway? Good looking bike though.

DogSoldier - you must ride better than your mates! On the twisty bits (particuarly on our roads) there's no way a Busa would keep up with a Blade, R1 etc when both were ridden by riders of equivalent skill - great bikes nonetheless. Flickable? They're not really, us bigger guys manhandle them!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep the 1000. I hear the 750 is very highly rated too, but haven't tried one myself.

Flickability vs your size might be a challenge (no offence!) as a shorter wheelbase is necessary and that rules out Busa, ZZR etc in factory form. What about an early FireBlade -they were larger than the current?
Maybe a foxeye blade then? I've seen a mint 98-99 for 2900 - low miles too.

Anyone ridden one - what's the 16" front like?

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Maybe a foxeye blade then? I've seen a mint 98-99 for 2900 - low miles too.

Anyone ridden one - what's the 16" front like?
Wow - years ago did, turns in OK on a 16 but a bit limited in tyre choice. The Foxeye wasn't any more powerful than a modern 750 (or even some 600s now) so I would look for an RR-Y onwards -being the fuel injected ones. Similar price although newer.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Have you ridden other bikes around the same era / budget? How does it compare? I've never owned a v-twin.
TBH, I went from ZX6R (1999?) to the Mille so it seemed pretty quick at the time TBH, especially with the RSV Titanium exhaust and the EVO chip in the ECU and 16 tooth front sprocket....

I tried a GSXR 750 (K2) and a ZX9R at the time and because of it's size I never had a problem.... Always managed to keep up with anything else that I was out with...;)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
i'm going to chuck my 1pence worth in....
(i'm TOTALLY biased by the way)

take your £3000 put £2000 of it into your bank then head off with £1000. purchase an OLD naked suzuki bandit 1200 that are worth nothing these days. drop a cog on the front and go up one on the back then just loon about the place grinning like a wanking Jap. they do everything you want and are more fun at real life speeds than your sportbike rocket. (this is an opinion as i've never actually ridden anything else).
do wheelies, do jumps off speed humps, do wheelspins, go drifting in the wet.

have fun!

i do

(or just get a 'busa)

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
did a monster wheelie today past the tailor made rib company in shav...give it a bit too much anarchy away from the lights on crewe road:hihi

ide recommend a buell for lunacy and pin sharp handling but they are not much fun for 6 footer types..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts