BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all dont know if anyone can help me as im not very good with computer stuff. I was given a acer aspire one zg5 notebook and im having problems getting it to connect to the internet.Where the wifi light is it doesnt light up and i tryed to see if that was turned off but from looks of it the wifi isnt installed.Can anyone please tell me how i can fix this problem.Thanks

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
go to the acer web site - support section and download the drivers for this model - has to be the first place to start

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Apologies if this is too simple - but have you got an aerial pic above one of the function keys (F10 usually)? This activiates the wireless if fitted - if not configured, some laptops switch off wireless everytime it powers down and needs to be activates when ppwered up. FN key and F10 simultaneously and the light may come on?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
drivers!!!

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
What is the model number of the Acer laptop you have? It will be on the front somewhere or on the bottom. If you let us know this we can find the drivers needed for the Wireless card to work.
You do also need to make sure that the physical Wifi On/Off button or hardware setting for the wireless is switched to on otherwise Windows won't see it properly, usually there's a light/LED that lights up when it's on.

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Ok, then go to the link below and download the Wireless LAN driver at the bottom, after it downloads unzip it and follow the instructions, should be relatively simple. That should get the wireless card talking to Windows.

http://global-download.acer.com/Ste...ire One&Step3=AOA110&BC=Acer&SC=EMEA_27&LC=en

Worth noting though - has the laptop been wiped/formatted since the person gave it to you? Is it still running Windows XP? If it's been given to you exactly as the previous owner was using it, then your wireless should work already technically, unless of course there is a problem (which may be why you got given it).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah its running on Windows XP.He did say that he restored it or rebooted it to clear all his stuff of it.Also how do i download it when it wont connect to internet

·
Registered
167 Posts
yeah its running on Windows XP.He did say that he restored it or rebooted it to clear all his stuff of it.Also how do i download it when it wont connect to internet
Same way you are browsing these forums - on a different computer

You will then need to copy the file to a CD or USB stick to get it onto the laptop :thumbsup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts