BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just aquired a set of 17" BBS RT's from a friend of mine. There all straight but the lips are very dull. So I decided I wanted to split them down and polish up the lips. So I removed all the nuts on the inside of the wheel and knocked all the bolts out, but the center of the rim will not seperate from the rim itself. Years of corrosion etc seem to have welded the two pieces together.

Has anyone else had experience with these wheels and any tips on removing the centers with out damaging them as there in pretty good nick.

Also does anyone know what model these wheels came off? There 7.5x17

Here's one of the wheels in question

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I would try and speak to a proffesional wheel company. I have heard that these wheels can be a nightmare. You may need to get the centres pressed out of the rims....:frown

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wot he said...I remember seeing a post on a forum where this guy couldn't put that wheel back together after dismantling it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mate, In regards to splitting of the Rim, The easiest way is to, Dont laugh- Stick it in the oven for a few minutes!!!
Sometimes what BBS done was, put a seal on the inner section of wheel, so after years they just dont come apart!!!
Ive been doing polishing for several years now, have had these sticky moments dude!!!
If you get stuck, PM me!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys, I put one in the press at work and applied some pressure but chickened out as I didn't want to bend anything. My next thought was to get some heat on them.

And Mjvr6 those Borbet A's look mint, I'll probably be in touch soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I managed to split one of the rims today, applied some heat with a small blow torch and out it came. Got the old laquer sanded off too which isn't the best job in the world to do. There's dust everywhere!

Next job is to get the lips to a polished finish and clean the centers up ready to bolt them back together.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'm currently trying to find some new bolts for them as I think they would look better than trying to clean the old ones up.

Also trying to decide on a colour scheme, been thinking about just painting the lips in a bright silver colour and doing the centers anthracite, as the wheels will be used in all weathers and I live about 20ft from the sea, so trying to keep polished lips looking shiney may prove a lot of hassle.

If anyones got any more ideas then please throw them in, they're going on a boston green E36.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I managed to get the rest of the wheels split this week with the help of a bit of heat. I sanded one of the lips down as there was a few kerb marks on the lip. Then decided to do a bit of research on these wheels and found a guy with a set on an american BMW forum and looked at how he refurbed his. Turns out he just striped the laquer off them with paint striper and polished them up.
So I though it had to be worth a try and the results look like this so far

Obviously there's a few blemishes in the metal after years of water getting under the laquer as many 328 sport owners will know about.But with a polishing kit I reckon they'll come up like new :thumbsup

And here's what I'm looking to achieve

Wouldn't mind a pair of 9" wide for the rear but there pretty hard to come by over here by the looks of things.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers mate, just a quick question though, how much is your car lowered by? I'm looking into kits and want it to sit nice on the wheels without being silly low and yours looks about how I want mine.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
To be honest I dont really know...:confused
I have a set of Hottuning coilovers on there, so I just set them to how I liked..:cool
Hottuning is one of the vendors on here, IIRC you can get a full set of height adjustable coilovers for £195....:thumbsup

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks mate, I've had a couple of sets off them on my previous golfs and always rated them very well for the price. I think I might save up for a set :thumbsup

·
Registered
25 Posts
Those wheels look pretty cool. Hopefully they turn out as nice as the ones on the car above!

I'm not looking forward to splitting my BBS RC's after hearing you had trouble haha.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You might laugh, but I'm sure I read somewhere about someone (actually, just remembered, it was a feature car in TotalBMW) where a guy laughed at the price the dealer wanted for new bolts, and just got them from screwfix, might be worth a try. :thumbsup

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers guys, I'm going to send the centers away to be acid dipped and start a fresh on them, I had a set of BBS center caps in my tool box which will be going on instead of the BMW badges. Still trying to decide on a colour to do the centers though.

Adam, if your in no rush to do the wheels I'd strongly suggest having a go yourself, it is time consuming but its worth it when you see the results.

Shared, Cheers I might give them a try but there not just a normal bolt on these wheels, the head is completely round and there's some splines just under the bolt head as well. Cant find any new ones anywhere :confused

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think I'll start mine in the winter if I can find a set cheap enough to run around on for a couple of months. I'll definately be giving it a go myself anyway :)

The bolts sound similar to what I have on the RC's, have a look on google for a company called 'Justmatz' IIRC they can supply near enough any BBS bolt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts