BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The laquer and paint on my bbs's is flaking and looking crap ! but the centers are ok so i want to do a diy refurb on them, now i've never done anything like this before so i need some advice on how to go about it.
i have a rough idea of what i have to do (sort of lol)

1. buy some nitromors and mask off the centres and the tyresand gently work it in to the rim and remove the laquer and paint
2. work through the grades of wet n dry paper until its shiny ?
3. seal with something like poorboys wheel sealant

is there anything im missing or extra steps i should be doing ?

cheers guys :thumbsup

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure how much the materials would cost and whether it would be a better option to have them refurbed somewhere. I know city powder coaters in Birmingham do a full refurb for around £100 - they have mixed reviews though.

thats with dropping the wheels there without tyres, they will do everything like shot blast, chemical thingy thing and powder coat

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the problem is i don't have a spare set of wheels to put on it while they are being refurbed. plus i already have loads of wet n dry paper its only the nitromors i need to buy really which is not to pricey.
Was thinking of investing in a dremel or something like it as they are cheap enough on ebay

·
Registered
232 Posts
The only trouble is to do a proper job your ganna have to remove the bolts. So you may as well remove the centres as well. Think a spare set of wheels are the way forward I'm afraid. Plus if you want polished barrels/lips you might want to think about a set of winter wheels?? I wouldn't paint the wheels fully assembled, mine were and they were a pig to Seperate! Oh and nitromores is $hite these days, I had my wheels acid dipped for £10 a wheel

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ive booked mine in to be done and got given a spare set of wheels while mine are away
Alloy Wheels | Alloy Wheel Refurbishment | Tyres Online

have a few midlands branches if youre up around that way

cant comment on quality obviously and cost a bit more than citypowdercoating

i had my set of 4 booked in
for full refurb, strip, acid dip, shot blast, powder coat, revalve, balance and refit for £180, inc the free loan wheels

when i factored in the nitromotors, sander, time sanding, primer, paint, lacquer etc i thought it was worth just getting them to do it

·
Registered
952 Posts
I used a Dremil with a small sanding disk on it to get into the grooves and then used some wet and dry and gave the wheels 2 coats of primer sanded them down again and 3 coats of black and 4 coats of laquer and sand in between with wet and dry 1200 grit and they look great afterwards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts