BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery on my 320 D 2002 e46 Toiuring may need replacing. I was advised that for this it is NOT necessary to do an electronic engine reset following cutting off the electrical power supply.(unlike on later models). However it may be necessary to reset the radio using the code. I don't have the original code but was able to Google the steps required to get it. But I am not sure how to input it if and when the system asks me to do so. Help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Never had to put a radio code in on my E46 (had it 16 years and 200k so done a couple of batteries, two head oem head units, and multiple disconnects for work). So, based on my experience, don't think you need to worry!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be a relief. I seem to remember though having to re-enter the code after doing the same job on my 91' SRi (Cavalier) so I guess the systems are different.I guess that likewise you weren't bothered with electronic / diagnostics or whatever systems "reset" (as advised by a dealer who might have been looking for work ..)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yep - no battery reset required either for the E46 generation. Everything newer does need battery coding in, but fortunately E46/E39/E53 generation doesn't!

I've put three radios in my E46 over the years - the original BMW (Phillips) one, then a later BMW Alpine one (I wanted aux in) and most recently I've got another BMW Alpine one that plays Mini Discs as a random ebay purchase as i was having a blast from the past. Anyway, none of the three head units have ever required a code so I'm about as confident as one can reasonably be that you'll be fine.

But you're very welcome to pop round for a cup of coffee whilst I relieve you of £100 whilst sucking my teeth over spurious complexity if you like 😂😂!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reinforces the criticism that I have heard (from US sources in particular) that modern day BMW's are over complex and over-engineered compared with Japanese (and perhaps Korean) competition. I'd certainly have reservations about replacing my 200 K + vehicle with anything that was claiming Vorsprung by pushing the latest Technik. Call me altmodisch.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Like every factory from small stuff e.g. computer, e-bikes to cars etc. They just make difficult for repairing or copying... to have more money...

Big example bmw shut down online bmw TIS🙄

·
Registered
224 Posts
Like every factory from small stuff e.g. computer, e-bikes to cars etc. They just make difficult for repairing or copying... to have more money...

Big example bmw shut down online bmw TIS🙄
They only shut down the non official sources, the official is still available at an absolute outrage price.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back to my original train of thought can anyone give me advice on how to make an intelligent choice of e46 replacement battery, given the various wide-ranging specs ("CCA" "mah" "amps" etc - which are critical??) quoted as well as the brands (Bosch, Varta ..) all weighed up against the range of prices. I suspect that it is not difficult to go for something that is way OTT as well as for one which will not be up to the job. I'm thinking of using Amazon based on this forum's advice that this should be a DIY job not requiring resets.

·
Administrator
11,751 Posts
I fit the biggest most powerful branded battery thats on offer i can find and this one below should work for you

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tks for the tip - interesting and I will follow up. Out of interest do you have a rule of thumb when to replace a battery from using a multimeter to check?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I change mine when it starts to sound a bit slow turning over when the start button is pressed.
Many cars today will give clues as they shut things down to save power when the IBS system thinks the battery is failing.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You can use a multimeter to check how low the voltage dips while starting the engine with a fully charged battery. Anything lower than 9.5v, it need to be changed.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I agree. Battery coding, along with the requirement to code in other parts, is pure money making on the part of BMW. There is no sensible reason for it other than to keep customers coming back to the main dealer for things that should be a simple DIY.
It wouldn't be so bad if BMWs were ultra reliable, but they aren't.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
All car's need a computer plugging in to tell it it has had something done.
Even down to the oil change on many.
But we can change wiper blades our self still lol.(if you can get them off)....

·
Registered
520 Posts
All car's need a computer plugging in to tell it it has had something done.
Even down to the oil change on many.
But we can change wiper blades our self still lol.(if you can get them off)....
Plenty of cars don't need plugging in after routine maintenance or servicing.
The reason for this is very simple. It is to keep owners coming back to the dealer especially after 2003 when the law around new car warranties and servicing changed. They can't force you to use them, but they can make it almost impossible for independent garages to work on them.
In short, main dealers are f**king owners and want to continue to be able to do so. They want to be able to keep selling you parts at over 100% mark up.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I bet they hate forums like this one where you can gain the info to DIY.
Main stealers that is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts