BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be of some use to some so thought I'd point it out.

Batteries can suddenly fail and this is what happened to me (the battery was on the car when I bought it several years ago but never gave me any issues). However, following the sub-zero temperatures, the following morning my car failed to start yet it didn't appear to show the obvious signs of battery failure. So just a heads up, if you have the testers, or fancy using a garage to perform a free battery check, it would be advisable to do so if you are unaware of the condition of your current battery.

Put my tester on it this morning to be amazed at it being shot, got a replacement from Eurocarparts for £35 all in and its running great again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi DSK, when you say it didn't show obvious signs of failure but wouldn't start was the engine still turning over or not.
I changed my battery a month ago purely because of the fact it has been on there for 7 years and I thought that was good enough. £99 from Halfords down to £75 with my trade card.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine did turn but just didn't fire up. It didn't sound like a weak battery, the dash lights etc were very bright etc so not using common sense I overlooked the battery and started thinking the problem may be elsewhere. Good job I came to my senses today and started at the obvious place (battery) when I was on a mission to get it started.

·
Registered
710 Posts
A mate had a battery go on his Vectra saloon the other day, luckily mine was fully charged so swapped it off and took it down to him, the car struck up first time.

I took his apparently dead battery home, checked the voltage on his battery and it came back at 13.2v which was low for a Vauxhall battery, so on charge it went. It has now been sat in my garage for 2 days after being charged to 19.4v, and is now showing 20.9v which is very strange.

I havent had the chance to put it back on my Vectra yet to test it, but its intriguing to find out if the battery is shot, or its just highly charged.

A good post however, definately had my eye on my battery the past 2 weeks, the 316i doesnt like to start straight away, then revs quite high. Although a full home service is on the cards for the next couple of weeks as soon as Ive cleared my garage out. Anything I should keep my eye out for on a 316 other than the usual?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine failed at the start of the frost (tested, two dead cells). Got a replacement from dingbro, think it was around £51 for the bosch one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
yeah these E36's have a problem of short charge time (though not saying the batteries dont last long) i bought my car and waited around 2 weeks before i was insured and it had died.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I took his apparently dead battery home, checked the voltage on his battery and it came back at 13.2v which was low for a Vauxhall battery, so on charge it went. It has now been sat in my garage for 2 days after being charged to 19.4v, and is now showing 20.9v which is very strange.
You either need a new battery or a new meter.

·
Registered
710 Posts
A new tester I think, just checked the sockets in the garage and it appears theres 20.9v coming from the sockets.

Now electrical training has told me that it should be a little more than that, somewhere in the region of 230-250v haha.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You may have a parasitic drain(light staying on e.t.c) http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain
Thanks for that Ronnie i'll check it out when i get a chance. I think the problem is more likely a rubbish battery - its fine if its only left a few days between use it seems to only be a problem when its left for more than about a week at a time. I think a battery check is due first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.