BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my search for the perfect car, I've found quite a few automatics which are perfect for about £2k less than the manual equivalent. Got me wondering ... why? I thought it cost more to buy?

Now I'm a huge fan of manual's and think driving an auto 330d would be just such a cop out - but according to raw stat's its only slower by 0.4 s over a 1/4 mile, and 0.1s over 0-60. Overall it's 4mpg different in fuel econ. To be honest, it may even beat me in a quarter mile because I'm not a uber fast double clutching type gear shifter :hihi

So, I guess the question would be how much more would you pay for a manual or would you not even see that as part of your car equation?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Automatics by nature cost more to buy when new. As for preference which g/box one desires is down to individual preferences. As for performance, in the real world under everyday conditions, the auto is likely to be quicker from my experience.

To keep the topic on track, I would always expect to see automatics cost about the same as a manual on the 2nd hand market. I would definately not pay more for a manual gearbox (its a scam to pay more for one), but, depending on the speciality of the car, I would consider paying a very 'little' more for an auto.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with DSK, I wouldnt have thought the cost would be so much different. Driving an automatic is just pure personal preference, I drove my first auto about 2 years ago and at first didnt like it. Now it wouldnt bother me if I bought an auto or manual. In fact for ease/smoother drive I would prob go for the auto.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crap, on talking to them, it seems that the picture was a bit ... misleading. Was a touring/estate rather than a saloon. Yuk. Guess that's why that one was so much cheaper.

In terms of auto vs. manual for 320d's they are about the same. The problem I've been having has been at looking at 330d because it's about 70% auto, 30% manual so there isn't as many options available.

Oh well, my Polo is treating me just fine for now. I've not got to get a car for at least 4 months, so plenty of time to find what I want.

·
Registered
753 Posts
In my my search for a decent e46 330ci sport i came across about 3 times more autos for sale than manuals and at about 1k less too. I guess at the end of the day its down to personal preference and how you drive, i.e. you do alot of stop-start driving in London an auto would be alot easier on the left leg. I do think it also depends on what car it is. If its something sporty then a manual will probably be a little more expensive second hand.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Those that had the allowance to get a well specced large engined bms from new tended to be older business men and company/fleet use. Most of those types optioned autos for ease of use as frankly it was the luxury and status they were looking for from their car not sporty use.
This means now the majority of the nicer bms are autos making manuals a rarer option. As with anything that is a bit rare there is a demand for it and people pay over the odds. Its all well and good saying I dont think manuals should be worth more than autos but chances are there is some one out there who will be paying that extra to get their hands on it whilst your all still debating the value.

Have a look for V8 e39's in manual. Not impossible to find but Id bet Id see 20-30 autos to every manual.
If anyone can find me a v8 e38 in manual Ill buy it. They had one in the transporter so Im hoping it was an option. I had an e32 735 manual which was awesome and I want to make a 740 drifter haha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was in the same position when I bought my BMW in 2006 - do I go for auto or manual. I ended up going to a BMW garage and getting a test drive in one of each (which I'd recommend to anyone before buying if they are unsure). I surprised myself far preferring the semi-auto- no clutch but fully auto, sport auto or manual 'quick shift' if you fancy playing with the gears.
I have been really happy with the auto for the last couple of years - perfect for nipping about or long motorway runs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts