BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was always curious as to how you could instantly tell the difference between an auto and a manual (identical models) purely from the sound of the exhaust note. Or would that be the engine note?? Sorry if that sounds dumb!

For example, you have 2 E60s, same year, same spec, side by side.

530d manual
530d auto

I can always instantly tell the auto straight away, and I guess the manual too. But what makes it sound like it does?? If you know what I mean.... Red :)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Was always curious as to how you could instantly tell the difference between an auto and a manual (identical models) purely from the sound of the exhaust note. Or would that be the engine note?? Sorry if that sounds dumb!

For example, you have 2 E60s, same year, same spec, side by side.

530d manual
530d auto

I can always instantly tell the auto straight away, and I guess the manual too. But what makes it sound like it does?? If you know what I mean.... Red :)
You can tell by the revs not dropping for gear changes as they would in a manual.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
You can tell by the revs not dropping for gear changes as they would in a manual.
Yep, the note of the exhaust doesn't change. It's how and when the car changes gear verses revs etc. It's not always easy to tell under all circumstances, but it is most of the time. :cool

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, no no. I must have superman hearing or something.....

I can easily distinguish between an auto and a manual driven car, but never knew why that was. Well at least I think I can and I haven't been wrong yet!

Have you never watched the american TV, and the big vans / pickups are all auto - you can always hear a different note from the manual (well the revving before bringing the clutch up is a dead giveaway).

Someone must know what I am talking about, I am not mad am I?? Lol, don;t answer that. Red :)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
no, no no. I must have superman hearing or something.....

I can easily distinguish between an auto and a manual driven car, but never knew why that was. Well at least I think I can and I haven't been wrong yet!

Have you never watched the american TV, and the big vans / pickups are all auto - you can always hear a different note from the manual (well the revving before bringing the clutch up is a dead giveaway).

Someone must know what I am talking about, I am not mad am I?? Lol, don;t answer that. Red :)

I know what you mean, when auto's set off from rest they have that difference

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Yep man, that's right - so what causes the difference in terms of sound? Just curious :)
The pickup would be different due to the torque converter doing its stuff before it lets you go I guess ........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.