BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my BMW Business (Cassette) head unit to play AUX input (disconnecting CD changer option) and was wondering if anyone has tried these kits out? If so are they any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-3-Series-E46-Aux-interface-Adaptor-Aux-iPod-iPhone-/370393318082?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item563d2982c2#ht_1504wt_988

I don't really want to upgrade the head unit as I have only just bought the car and want to keep costs low, so for £30 this, I thought looked alright?

The car is a 2001 E46 320 Coupe.

Also, on a side note, I noticed I have a button on the steering wheel that dipicts a person talking, does this mean I have a hands free option in the car? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yes that kit would be good for adding Aux in to your car.

Hold down the sneezing man. If the car does not beep or say ACTIVATE PHONE or PHONE NOT READY then you have BT. If nothing happens then you don't have it.

A DICE Mediabridge MB-1500 is one way to go, but ten times more expensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the reply.

Have you had one of these kits or something similar in your car?

Will the quality of sound be similar to that of playing a CD? I currently have a cassette with a aux cable on it that I plug into my Ipod and if buying this kit I'd like the sound quality to improve on this.

Thanks for the response.
Tom

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
No I haven't used one. It's a pretty simply box that pretends to be a CD player, and the HU activates the CDC input.

Yes the sound quality will be better than your tape deck adaptor, but not as good as CD, as the MP3 source file is heavily compressed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the reason is I plug my iPhone into a tom tom car kit adapter, and I also plug the aux into the tom tom kit to, however this turns the iPhone up to full blast and for that the sound quality becomes sketchy.

So I am hoping that this solution from eBay will solve the problem.

Has anyone tried one of these kits and would possibly shed some light on whether it's worth the hassle of installing?

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I would say give it a punt. It's not exactly a rocket science device, you can see the line in for the CDC in this picture.

You just need to fool the HU into believing the CDC is present, and adjust the levels/impedances on the audio as nessesary to turn Heaphone level to Line level.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts