BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon,

Pretty much as the title suggests, are all the e46's limited to 155mph or is it just the 330i and m3?

Only reason for asking is my 320i coupe (2003 2.2) has achieved 140mph just before the rev limiter in 5th and i wondered if a 6spd version would hit the 155mph electronic limiter? Test was conducted on private airfield.

And is it the same for the 325i?

Many Thanks

Lloyd

·
Registered
32 Posts
Most of them are limited to 155mph for the reason the parts that are manufacturer and made/strong enough to go over the 155 barrier. I think if they were made to go faster it would require bigger brakes etc... which is why the really expensive cars can top this speed. (I think)

·
Legendary BFuk Member +1
1,138 Posts
Believ it or not I hav seen many reports and performance fugures that say the top speed is 151..131..an that was allegedly the 330!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 330ci coupe will do 155+,only been there a couple of times, and i think its fast enough lol. Roads not up to that sort of speed over here anyway.......

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
My mate claims that he had 163mph out of his 1993 Dakar Yellow E36 3.0litre M3

I have no reason to doubt what he was saying but as I am a terrible passenger there is no chance on this planet that I was going to climb in alongside him and request that he prove it to me:rofl

I'm sure I also read that it was mutually agreed that Zee Germans would limit their cars to 155mph. These limiters can be removed obviously:hihi

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
i prefer not to end up doin a stretch inside with a big batty boy bodybuilder as a cell mate myself..

instant jail term at that sort of speed..i know a friend got banged up for doin over 130 coppers hate it more than bikers doin that speed..

·
Registered
359 Posts
330 auto not restricted as it only gets to 153

330 manual is restricted though I suspect it would only just get over the 155 anyhow.

adios

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Apologies for the quality of the first post, i was on the i phone and well even someone my age still has trouble with technology:hihi.

It was more out of curiousty then anything was the reason i asked. Was the 155mph limited introduced on e46 and e39 or before then?

And yes it was tested on an airfield lol, one benefit of suffolk, you are guaranteed to know someone who owns an airfield, handy:D. Although i thought the car did well considering this was several months ago when its running was erm less than what you would expect:frown, but all is now well:thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
23 Posts
Is there a limiter in cars that are supposedly not capable of reaching/exceeding 155mph?

For example, according to Parkers, a 2003 E60 530d (manual) has a top speed of 152mph.
If it was going down a sufficiently steep hill, was tailgating at very high speeds, or had a remap, would a limiter kick in at 155mph, or would a limiter simply not be fitted as there should be no need to stop it exceeding a speed that it was assumed to be incapable of reaching?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
My 325 has a top speed of 151mph according to the manual so I don't see why it would have a limiter? Unless BMW were being sneaky with there published stats..

I wouldn't have thought a 320 would do much more than 140 though surely? Again no limiter required really..

·
Registered
359 Posts
my 330 is not limited to 155, when i first ppurchased it i went for a drive down a very long and flat private road ant the speedo went off the colock and the speed on my sat nav was 162.
for an auto vert the official figures are 149 (autotrader) :confused

Was it off a cliff?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts