BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hoping for some general advice. This is my first post so I hope I am in the right place. I bought an Approved Used 316 compact sport (04) at the end of Jan 09. After completing 3000 miles I was informed by my local dealer that both my rear tyres needed changing as both were on 2mm! I bought the car from big main dealer near work and had to take car to local dealer near home as rear wash pump failed, it was then they found the tyres were very low and also there was a broken coil and a leak from the breaks!!
All the work apart from tyres was covered by warrenty i got with car. But not the tyres. I spoke to dealer i bought it from arguing that after 3000 miles i dont expect to have tyres changed. they did not want to know saying that when sold the tyres were well over the 3mm recommended by BMW for used car sales! It looks like i Have worn at least 2mm in just under 3 months/3000 miles. The tyres are Bridgestone 255/35.
I have written to dealer asking for my money back for replacing tyres as I believe they were very low when sold. They are not interested!
Any advice would be so helpful. 2 new tyres were over 400quid! because the car is so low to ground it was very hard to check thouroughly the depth when i bought it.
How long should these tyres last? Shorely 2mm every 3000 miles means tyres only last about 8 momths!! :eek

·
Registered
11 Posts
To be honest, they are in the right. They sold you a car with 3mm of tread which is the legal minimum for used approved. I bought an approved used car recently from a dealer and the rear tread is exactly 3mm. 3000 miles would scrub the tyres down if driven sensibly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest, they are in the right. They sold you a car with 3mm of tread which is the legal minimum for used approved. I bought an approved used car recently from a dealer and the rear tread is exactly 3mm. 3000 miles would scrub the tyres down if driven sensibly.
Cheers, trouble is as well it broke down last week as it lost all its coolant as the coolant top had not been screwed back on prop after service when I bought it. I have had so much inconvieniance so far I was hoping as a good will they may have offered to pay for at least one of the tyres. Never had a BMW before and feel dissapointed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hoping for some general advice. This is my first post so I hope I am in the right place. I bought an Approved Used 316 compact sport (04) at the end of Jan 09. After completing 3000 miles I was informed by my local dealer that both my rear tyres needed changing as both were on 2mm! I bought the car from big main dealer near work and had to take car to local dealer near home as rear wash pump failed, it was then they found the tyres were very low and also there was a broken coil and a leak from the breaks!!
All the work apart from tyres was covered by warrenty i got with car. But not the tyres. I spoke to dealer i bought it from arguing that after 3000 miles i dont expect to have tyres changed. they did not want to know saying that when sold the tyres were well over the 3mm recommended by BMW for used car sales! It looks like i Have worn at least 2mm in just under 3 months/3000 miles. The tyres are Bridgestone 255/35.
I have written to dealer asking for my money back for replacing tyres as I believe they were very low when sold. They are not interested!
Any advice would be so helpful. 2 new tyres were over 400quid! because the car is so low to ground it was very hard to check thouroughly the depth when i bought it.
How long should these tyres last? Shorely 2mm every 3000 miles means tyres only last about 8 momths!! :eek
im also starting to feel a bit disapointed with bmw, things keep breaking,packing up or falling off....:banghead hopefully nothing else will or its back to honda for me!!! :yes
Let me assure you guys, that there is nothing bad about driving the BMW marque. If you come across any further problems, then you have find the right place to put forward your questions. We are here to help and give advice. To the OP, if you feel that you have been let down by your dealer, then why not express your concerns in a letter to BMW UK?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love the car and owning a BMW just feel let down by the dealer when i have encounterd so many probs and having to find 420 quid in first 3 months all they keep saying is that I am fortunate to have such a good warrenty. yeah i agree its good but thats not the point. I feel ill advised when purchasing car that if i had known only 3mm on tyres i would have made different decisions!
Do you suggest I write to BMW uk then?
Cheers

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes I do...if you feel you have been let down.
Details below:

BMW (GB) UK,
Ellesfield Avenue,
Bracknell,
Berkshire,
RG12 8TA, UK
about 5 miles from me :cool :rofl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.