BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
i ordered some when we had the snow last time but they were out of stock and turned up when it all went lol, i need something to get me up the hill i live on but im unsure how i can get them on easy with my 19" wheels on, theres not much gap between the body and tyres to get the sock round, worse case i have t jack it up i suppose.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I posted the original thread :thumbsup Im looking into geting them. Although everyone on here basicaly said they are crap because they shred on tarmac, cant drive fast etc etc, Thats not what i'd buy them for. Would be handy to have them for getting up snowy hills etc, pop them on, get the car past the obstacle, then take them off :)

·
Administrator
4,218 Posts
I posted the original thread :thumbsup Im looking into geting them. Although everyone on here basicaly said they are crap because they shred on tarmac, cant drive fast etc etc, Thats not what i'd buy them for. Would be handy to have them for getting up snowy hills etc, pop them on, get the car past the obstacle, then take them off :)
Don't get me wrong I understand they could be great to get you out of a difficult situation. Got my car stuck for a week last year!

Ian

·
Registered
38 Posts
Would be handy to have them for getting up snowy hills etc, pop them on, get the car past the obstacle, then take them off :)
thats what it is for me, i have to get to work even if im late so hopefully these will get me up my street

·
Administrator
4,218 Posts
What bothered me about them is if you use them to overcome the adverse conditions, take them off when your on clears roads and then get stuck at a set of city centre traffic lights. Thought it was best to just go for winter tyres.

Saying that, they would gave got me the last 200 yards home last year rather than having to abandon my car.

Ian

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats what it is for me, i have to get to work even if im late so hopefully these will get me up my street
i'm in the same situation, i have to get to work. It's only a ten minute drive and as i start at 5am the roads are empty so doing the whole journey at 30mph is no bother. it would be a pain if they shredded on tarmac at low speeds though

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've just been looking at a pair on ebay. I have to get up a mahoosive hill to get to/home from work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I looked at getting them as well as an emergency fallback device. I doubt you'd get many trips out of them if you did a few journeys...

S

·
Platinum BFuk Member
230 Posts
chaps ,

it seems everyone is considering , and no one wants to make the jump, i found this on pistonheads.

I promised on the BMW forum (on 'How crap are BMWs in the snow?') that I would report on sets of 'snow socks' I'd ordered after experiencing horrendous problems on Monday in a rwd BMW 318 + my wife having to abandon her car, a fwd Laguna, on Tuesday.

As it might easily be missed by non BMW drivers and given I now think they are a potential life saver I thought I'd add a note here. I have absolutely no involvement in any company selling these by the way! So, I quote from the other post . .

"Snow socks arrived today and are now fitted to my wife's Laguna and my BMW - and as I promised to report back, they are utterly brilliant!

A bit of a pain to fit - with my big clumsy hands I just couldn't get enough space to start them off properly and without my wife I don't know how I'd have got them on - and they went on her car and centered more easily. With my aftermarket suspension and so little room I jacked the car up (but also wanted to wind the dampers down) got them started then rolled back and forth and drove a bit to get them self-fitting as instructed. After a while they seemed a snug fit on both cars. We have them on the driven wheels only but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

I drove down to town in worse conditions than Monday when I had the issues or Tuesday (my wife had to abandon her car 1/2 mile down the hill yesterday and couldn't get back despite two tries). We must have 6 inches of snow on areas untouched and even where I dug the cars out etc. there was another 2 or 3 inches on top of sheets of packed ice. The road (steep with ups and downs in its overall point six mile drop of a couple of hundred feet, rapid gradient changes and most of it twisty) was horrendous (looking) and v. few have got up today but I had no issues at all today, bar one slight bit of touchiness from the ABS when braking up a steep slope. The traction control light which was demented on Monday only lit once when I ran through a pothole.

I'm confident I'm sorted now for winter (other than possibly getting stuck in others' jams) and really believe these could be a life saver. I honestly think we all ought to have either these, chains or winter tyres for periods like this."

i found something else too , but lost it now??

will get back to ya

·
Platinum BFuk Member
230 Posts
before i go on, i dont work for or know anyone that works for autosock. but i just found this

Q1: How do they work?
A1: Basically it's to do with friction. Dry snow and ice sticks to fabric, especially 'woolly' fabric as those of us who remember snowballing in woollen mitts will remember. AutoSock are made from a hairy fabric which sticks to the snow. The fibres, which become hairier with use, are arranged at right angles to the direction of travel to optimise grip. Very importantly, the specially developed textile also "wicks away" any water that's found between the ground and the tyre, (generated e.g. by the warmth of the sun, or wheel spin), thereby maximising the friction grip.

Q2: How well do they work?
A2: Astonishingly well! They are more effective than winter tyres (and a lot cheaper) and are also more effective than snow chains in certain situations, especially on ice. They have been tested and formally approved by e.g. Audi, Citroen, Mercedes-Benz, Peugeot and Volkswagen, as well as by several European road transport research institutes and the German TÜV. A range of test data is shown on the Research & Development pages.

Q3: What sort of conditions can I use them in?
A3: They'll improve traction on any snow or ice - even in soft, deep snow, or in wet snow. It's recommended that you take them off when you get back to tarmac, although the reality is that they probably will be driven on tarmac during those intermittent tarmac / snow / tarmac / snow conditions experienced before leaving the snow for good. (The TÜV test included 50 kilometres at 50 kph on dry tarmac. AutoSock passed this "Misuse test", but of course tarmac driving is not recommended as it increases fabric wear very considerably.)

and check this tuv report

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/gal/ask/ASHP_06Z.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
Same as snow chains , not for long term use as winter tyres only for emergency use when you driving up the hill or stuck , very easy to put on the wheel and to take it off compare to chains, but without the damage to alloys . I used the snow chains here last year and they only lasted me for 3 days ( you not supous to use them on cleared tarmac :D )

1 - 20 of 35 Posts