BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
BFuk Resident Design Guru
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. my camera is about 7 months old and it started pooping up.. when its switched on the lense went in and out and in and out etc then said 'please turn off and on again'

so i sent it to sony as its still under warranty and i got this back..

Dear Sir

We have your unit in at Sony Central Service but when the engineers examined it there is damage to the unit, I have attached photos to show the damage for you to look at.

Unfortunately no damage is covered by the warranty and if you would like to go ahead with the repair the charge would be £114.56 payable in advance, but as the unit has damage if this does not cover the full cost of the repair an estimate could be sent out.

If you would like to make payment over the phone or speak to an advisor you can contact us on 08702408060 and quote the job number above. We accept debit or credit cards or you can send a cheque to our Pencoed office.

There is also a 90 day warranty with the repair or the remainder of your warranty, whichever is the greater.

Regards

Christine

Now to me those are just wear and tear scuffs... its just the chrome plated bit thats chipped a bit...

I sent this back..

Dear Christine,

I dont understand your e-mail that you sent. Are you trying to say that I will have to pay for the repair? The pictures you sent show wear and tear scuffs and scratches which have been there for a while. I can assure you the camera hasn't been dropped as its the wifes camera and its not used often. The lense operation is whats faulty and wont come out. Its as if there is a problem with the actuators/mechanism for the lense. This problem only started to happen a day before I sent it for repair. It did one day tell me to turn off and on again out the blue but the lense didn't come out and retract it just showed this message, I did that and from then on it was fine until now.

Thanks

Ben

Now what the F**K!? Its 7 months old sorry its not pristine... are they telling me i got to pay for it? its as if they just looked at it and gone aye its fcuked because its got some scratches on it!?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Any shiny chrome bits on cameras/phones get scuffs like that very easily even after very little use. Impossible to keep them in a box fresh condition because they pick up miniature scratches even if your very careful so I don't see this girls point at all....

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Thats crap Ben....hopefully they do something for you!!

If its been dropped then then would be markings/dents on the camera casing :shifty:

My missis Samsung camera's lense started playing up and Samsung repaired without question...maybe its Sony trying to be difficult :mad

·
Registered
408 Posts
A bit of T-cut will get those scratches out :hihi

On a serious note, I think she got the wrong end of the stick................Post up when she replies! :thumbsup

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
If you get no where, you might have to start threatening to take them photo's to a solicitor/Citizens Advice Bureau - That usually makes them see sense.

I think they have been trained to look for bad scratches, and claim it's been dropped.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sony are saying that the damage around the lens has caused the lens failure. I deal with these sort of things nearly everyday. You can ask for them to give you a report how the damage is linked to the "damage" around the lens?

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Sony are saying that the damage around the lens has caused the lens failure. I deal with these sort of things nearly everyday. You can ask for them to give you a report how the damage is linked to the "damage" around the lens?
Good stuff Ricky...bet they would be lost for words then :lol

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Ben I deal with Sony regularly over laptop repairs and they are just as bad with them!!

I've known them try to claim that faulty heat synchs in laptops have been accidental damage, there just slimy b*stards!!

they will do all they can to avoid having to actually fix something for free!!

only thing they have decent repair processes for is the PS3, and thats because they know it very rarely goes wrong!!

where did you buy the camera from?? don't forget if sony won't repair it you've got a genuine gripe with the people who sold it to you :thumbsup

if you kick off with the vendor you'll get a new camera I can assure you :hihi

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hey guys.. my camera is about 7 months old and it started pooping up.. when its switched on the lense went in and out and in and out etc then said 'please turn off and on again'

so i sent it to sony as its still under warranty and i got this back..

Dear Sir

We have your unit in at Sony Central Service but when the engineers examined it there is damage to the unit, I have attached photos to show the damage for you to look at.

Unfortunately no damage is covered by the warranty and if you would like to go ahead with the repair the charge would be £114.56 payable in advance, but as the unit has damage if this does not cover the full cost of the repair an estimate could be sent out.

If you would like to make payment over the phone or speak to an advisor you can contact us on 08702408060 and quote the job number above. We accept debit or credit cards or you can send a cheque to our Pencoed office.

There is also a 90 day warranty with the repair or the remainder of your warranty, whichever is the greater.

Regards

Christine

Now to me those are just wear and tear scuffs... its just the chrome plated bit thats chipped a bit...

I sent this back..

Dear Christine,

I dont understand your e-mail that you sent. Are you trying to say that I will have to pay for the repair? The pictures you sent show wear and tear scuffs and scratches which have been there for a while. I can assure you the camera hasn't been dropped as its the wifes camera and its not used often. The lense operation is whats faulty and wont come out. Its as if there is a problem with the actuators/mechanism for the lense. This problem only started to happen a day before I sent it for repair. It did one day tell me to turn off and on again out the blue but the lense didn't come out and retract it just showed this message, I did that and from then on it was fine until now.

Thanks

Ben

Now what the F**K!? Its 7 months old sorry its not pristine... are they telling me i got to pay for it? its as if they just looked at it and gone aye its fcuked because its got some scratches on it!?
You'll be covered under the SOGA 1979 - not an expert on this, but I think your first point of contact will be with the retailer you bought it from.. it's then up to them to resolve the issue: http://whatconsumer.co.uk/the-sale-of-goods-act/

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
It sucks to think that there are so many things we cover with warranties and insurances which adds up to a lot of hard earned cash only to be fobbed off when the service is actually required!

The words "Insurance" and "Warranty" etc. should be made swear words and require the use of a *** when being referred to:mad

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Ben, things like this make my blood boil:frown

I hope you manage to get a better response from where you bought it from:thumbsup

·
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i bought it from the hydro shop in inverness as i work for the hydro and got 100 pound voucher.. but they have closed down but i did buy it over the phone... ill give them a phone if i recieve a stupid e-mail again..

the scuffs were caused from being in her bag... ill ask them for a report! :thumbsup

·
Registered
377 Posts
Send an email back saying

"the scuffs were caused by the wife placing the camera inside her handbag and it rubbing against keys and such like. I have given her a severe beating for her stupidity and would be most pleased if you could please repair the camera as the cosmetic damage in no way relates to the fault. I really need the camera back for May 6th as we have a family wedding to attend and I'd like to take some pictures of the wife if her black eyes and broken nose have had chance to heal by then"

·
Registered
217 Posts
Send an email back saying

"the scuffs were caused by the wife placing the camera inside her handbag and it rubbing against keys and such like. I have given her a severe beating for her stupidity and would be most pleased if you could please repair the camera as the cosmetic damage in no way relates to the fault. I really need the camera back for May 6th as we have a family wedding to attend and I'd like to take some pictures of the wife if her black eyes and broken nose have had chance to heal by then"
Don't forget to wipe her blood and your fingerprints off the camera first.
(I'm gonna get banned for that one) :rofl

·
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE!!

Got this reply back...

Thank you for your email regarding the damage to the above product. We fully appreciate your disappointment with regard to the circumstances of your case and in an effort to clarify the situation we would like to advise the following:

The terms and conditions of the Sony European Guarantee provide customers with free of charge repairs during the first 12 months of ownership. However, Section 4 of the guarantee contains a full list of exclusions and in particular states:

This guarantee does not cover:

Damage to the product as a result of:

- failure to maintain the product in accordance with Sony instructions on proper maintenance

- accidents, fire, liquids, chemicals, other substances, flooding, vibrations, excessive heat, improper ventilation, power surges, excess or incorrect supply or input voltage, radiation, electrostatic discharges including lightening, other external forces and impacts.

Consequently, shock damage of any kind is not covered by the guarantee. A diagnosis of shock damage is invariably an emotive one, particularly as it is almost always impossible for us to provide an explanation of what shock has caused damage to the product.

With this in mind, our Engineers purely work on the facts that are presented to them and will only base a diagnosis on the condition of the product as they find it. If there is any damage, beyond the control of Sony to avoid, then a guarantee repair cannot be carried out. I have included a photograph of the damage to the camera, which would mean the lens would require replacing

We are sorry for any further disappointment this e-mail may cause but trust that we have explained the reason for this decision.

Kind Regards

Hmmm.... so i sent this back.. :thumbsup

To Whome it concerns,

Upon reading your reply I am right in believing that you state that the camera has encountered shock damage. How can shock damage lead to erratic behaviour of the lense mechanism? I request that a report is made on how this conclusion has been made as I can assure you that the reason is not shock damage.

The chrome plating around the lense of which you indicate on the pictures can be easily chipped due to normal usage and not down to improper maintenance.

All my household electrical items are sony products and I have never had to use the warranty service before and I am deeply dissapointed at the sony's diagnosis of my problem. I took out 3 years extended warranty on my television at a high cost and hope that it also doesn't become faulty and leads me in the same situation as I am in now.

Yours sincerely,

Ben Alsbury

Now what do you think of that guys?

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
ya dealing with standard operational replies clones..

vote with ya feet i say f-ck em..

i know they used to be arseholes with their laptops too i used to repair and overhaul laptops and sell them for many years...

the favorites were some evidence of liquid or pressure damage..:sarcastic

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Methinks this a war of attrition. Fundamentally, it will cost Sony (or their insurers) 'money' to fix (labour and time). So, rather like any insurer the first reaction is to resist/deny liability' obfuscate etc.

This will test you letter writing skills as well as your persistence. Don't waste your time with the CAB (or your hard-earned with an advocate). Why not pen a letter to Customer Relations at Sony HQ and lay it on thick about your other purchases (current and intended!) and stick to the point about surface 'damage' being a consequence of carriage and that there is no case damage whatsoever etc etc.

In effect it's the same messaging, but to a new pair of eyes?

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
dont buy sony again and make sure they know it too..

i wouldnt have a sony laptop to prop the door open! [email protected]

cant beat an IBM built like tanks..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts