BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth getting snow chains for the few days a year we have that are like this - I live on a hill and nearly everytime the weather gets like this I have to leave my car at home - same with previous cars which were front wheel drive.

Has anyone ever used snow chains - is it worth all the hassle stopping to put them on, stopping to take them off.

Whats is like driving in them?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Depends how bad it is where you are and if having snow chain is suitable for you to drive the vehicle from point A to point B.

Fwiw consider winter tyres, these are designed with the tread to work at it soptimum in low temperatures and the treads blocks are geared towards providing maximum grip and traction. In recent conditions this would be wise choice, but if the snow depth is terrible then maybe chains may be only answer.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It not that bad generally I just can't get my car up the hill when it snows, going straight up the hill is not a problem but it has a few bends in it which is where I normally get stuck - It's too much to expect the council to grit the road.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
you might not be able to use them over your alloys. winter tyres are a better bet. get a spare set of winter wheels with winter tyres and swap them over for your normal alloys/tyres when the weather is better. i appreciate its not that cheap an option though lol
Good advice here.

Snow chains DO work, but they are rather a PITA to fit and then youve got the hassle of removing them again when you get to tarmac roads...

Well, you 'may' be able to use them on normal roads but I would doubt it.

best bet is to get winter tyres at front and back. They will do fine in normal conditions but come snowtime, they make a big big difference.

Or get some cheap spare wheels and get the winter tyres on them and use them as a winter set :)

But going on past trends after this snowy period is over, it wont snow badly again for another 10 years or more :hihi

·
Registered
38 Posts
the problem with snow chains is that you shouldn't use them on tarmac as it can ruin your tyres so you'd have to stop and take them off when your off the snow

as for you saying about fwd and rwd cars, even a 4x4 isn't particularly safe in this weather unless its got the right type of tyres on it

just see it as a rare chance to have some time off work

·
Registered
0 Posts
Has anyone tried "Michelin Easy Grip Composite Snow Chains"? What are your opinions? they are supposed to be kinder to you tyres

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I bought some from Halfords a few years ago. Impossible to fit - and I'm not completely useless. Doubly difficult if you are running with any kind of lowered suspension and can't get enough access.

If it really mattered to me, I would get another set of rims and some knobbly tyres.

·
Registered
15 Posts
we used to use chains on the trucks, if we were on a tour round scandinavia, etc in the winter. bit of a bitch in the winter, but did the job. we used to cheat to, you can buy this stuff in garages in sweden, its like a spray on, for your tyre for grip, to get going in the snow, and it bloody worked. doubt you'd get it in uk?

·
Registered
701 Posts
snow chains are good for snow ide recomend them for trips if its going to be constant snow as fitting nd removal is a pain. fitted a few to bus tryes and droped them down the bad a few times oooo the fun.
as for you p;rediciment have you never thought of buying some bags of grit/salt from b&q or the likes and gritting the bad parts you have trouble with. yes you shouldnt have to but its a private road that belongs to the home owners then have a chat with them and all chip in to help each otehr out.

we used to do this in a street i lived in as we had trouble with it being a ice rink in the winter

·
Registered
776 Posts
all chip in to help each otehr out. we used to do this in a street i lived in as we had trouble with it being a ice rink in the winter
I like that concept, although doesn't work in my street as my neighbours are ignorant p**cks :mad Example: last year I spent like an hour digging my car out of the snow, even gritted/cleaned the big area around my motor, drove to local shop, back in 5 minutes and some fooker moved their car into my space that I just cleaned.

Blatent ignorance. This year I'm going to put down my own fooking stingers, then let them try it - as long as I don't forget to move them before I park up :rofl

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
230 Posts
lol very true, looking at your link although it says goodyear, i dont think they are made by good year
yeah i spotted that. right at the very bottom. smallprint and all that

think i'm gonna see how bad we get it first. then go for proper chains if need be

·
Platinum BFuk Member
1,229 Posts
I remember the thread from last year bout the snow socks on YouTube and was about to buy some how come they don't work?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts