BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any experienced fish keepers ?

I can't be arsed to sign up to yet another forum, so thought i'd try a BMW forum first :lol

I need abit of advice :)

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm on my 3rd tank now - But i'm struggling to get the nitrates down !

This is the biggest tank i've kept, and i've never had an issue before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You could try a reducing agent but I believe the best method is regular water changes :thumbsup Is your tank overpopulated?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
838 Posts
i got a lot of fu-king snails in mine cant get rid of them any one no best way to clear them
bill

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stk - I did a 15% change, this Sunday just gone. No algae what so ever.

Mark - About 3 weeks I think. I used mature media from my previous tank, thinking that'll help out.

A few little piccys anyway:

My Red tailed shark... The fish in the foreground is an iridescent shark.

I got a Wood shrimp in there, but he's quite hard to get a photo of - But absolutely fantastic to watch !

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
My mate's suggested more plants to get the nitrates down, coincidence I saw this thread whilst I was in his car and he's a pretty keen fish keeper :thumbsup

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More plants ?

Well I can do that :thumbsup

I had intentions on getting a few more to hide the filter inlet and outlet. So I think a trip to the aquarium center this weekend is in order :thumbsup

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And one more question - Is it too much, to have to much filtration ?

In this 4ft tank, I have 3 filters running - 2x Fluval 305's, and 1x Eheim something-or-other... Between them, pushing about 2500litre's of water an hour.

Is this too much ? Can the bacteria develop in such large filters ?
Or would I be better off running less, where the bacteria can grow better ?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
If I try and get my mate to get on here to help will you admit that the iPhone is a good phone? :hihi

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
f0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000k off :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Check ma sig :lol

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
you cant over filter...the microbes live on ammonia 1st off...then nitrites as the tank matures...all you are doing is supplying spare capacity :)
slowly add more fish when the nitrates steady off and all will be good ;)

·
Registered
701 Posts
i used to keep oscars and i had a breif spell of stuggling with the nitrates and amonia levels i found i had to do 40% water changes in the tank every few days to bring them down for a while i also added a proper filtration system which sat outside the tank. i couldnt use plants or other fish to help out as they are very distructive and rip plants to peices in minutes and just eat other fish.
in my smaller tank i used to use a plec to keep the snails down after my mum decided that one snail would look nice in my tank. grrrrrr big mistake on her part as they breed like wildfire with themselves haha

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you cant over filter...the microbes live on ammonia 1st off...then nitrites as the tank matures...all you are doing is supplying spare capacity :)
slowly add more fish when the nitrates steady off and all will be good ;)
Excellent stuff :thumbsup Thats what I like to hear.
I was getting concerned, that'd i'd got all these massive filters, and I might have to remove 1 or 2.

i used to keep oscars and i had a breif spell of stuggling with the nitrates and amonia levels i found i had to do 40% water changes in the tank every few days to bring them down for a while i also added a proper filtration system which sat outside the tank. i couldnt use plants or other fish to help out as they are very distructive and rip plants to peices in minutes and just eat other fish.
in my smaller tank i used to use a plec to keep the snails down after my mum decided that one snail would look nice in my tank. grrrrrr big mistake on her part as they breed like wildfire with themselves haha
I might try another, larger, water change this weekend, and see what happens from there.

As for the snails, I don't like the little parasitics one's that come on plants, but I love the big'uns. I got 2 apple snails in there now.

In my last tank, I had 2 snails (Unknown name), and they bred, and I had hundreds of snails hatch - I loved it, but they all died within a month :(

·
Registered
479 Posts
also a keen fish keeper with two tanks :thumbsup

See if your Aquarium Shop sells a product called Prime, it's great for detoxifying Nitrates/Nitrites , also can be used for water changes because it removes chloramine and chlorine etc

During the cycle If you can use some of the gravel from your other tanks somehow, the beneficial bacteria migrates onto the new stuff and speeds up the cycling process , I filled an old fishnet full of gravel from my matured tank and tied it up and let it sit at the bottom of the new one, it cycled within two weeks(didn't bother with using old media) :thumbsup

·
Registered
479 Posts
also look out for Assasin snails, they do exactly what they say on the tin :cool
they remove all other snails and don't multiply :thumbsup

Other than that get a horse face loach or a Pakistani loach....then sit and watch as they annihilate the feckers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts