BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Bfuk Legend
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
Have a bit of a situation regarding some rain water drainage at Canary wharf and could do with some advise.

what i have is an manhole with a 6inch feed and no outlet, know am thinking this is an overflow chamber for a road gully as the chamber floods when it runs and am sure this I/C is a sealed chamber but the frame has been smashed to shit by some drainage cowboys and is nolonger sealed and is leaking into one of the restaurants and flooding the basement, if anyone could help or just some advise would be most appreciated

cheers

·
Bfuk Legend
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Describe this pit.
When you lift the cover off, do you see a big hole, yellow steps down the side?
Can you see the bottom?
There's a 6 inch pipe coming in.. Where abouts? halfway up the rings, or in the bottom?

It may be a soakaway.
Hi Enda
right its around 8-10ft deep, 2 x steps to side and the feed around 6inch or so of the base, the base is cement and i remove a shit load of felt from the i/c, also the lid is very heavy with very large alan key, it does appear to drain down but is overflowing when it rains?????

·
Bfuk Legend
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, comes under riverside. We've done loads of work on the site behind it though:hihi:shifty:
yer i bet you have:rofl:rofl, there back door is under the big roundabout where the building work is takeing place;);) and they are a right load of tight basta(ds:frown:frown

·
Bfuk Legend
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it used to be a jewish company mate :lol
watch it you i am a 4 b 2:hihi:hihi:hihi
basta+ds sent me on my jack to drain out the pit which really needed a tanker and the the sods only sent a PO over for a fixed price, am going to tell them i have to cctv the hole site:hihi and have a tanker on standby:D:D

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
What's the concrete like on the bottom? Rough / back of the shovel finish points to a soakaway, if it's been nicely trowelled and smoothed, then it was meant to have everything wash out of it.

Generally you can have 3 types of pit, one is a regular manhole, the main channel will be in the bottom, although sometimes you will get new pipes breaking in halfway up the sides.
The channel will be benched, which is the smooth contoured finish, using grano, which is like very fine concrete using granite dust instead of pebbles so you can plaster it with something solid.
Concrete/grano channels in storm drains, half pipe sections used to make the channels in foul usually.

The next type is a soakaway, these should have a floor of gravel or often just covered with silt and the idea is to hold the rainwater and let it drain away in it's own time rather than going out into rivers and sewers to be treated.
These will tend to have plenty of approx 2-3 inch holes in the walls to allow soaking out sideways as well as through the bottom. Not to be confused with the 2 or 3 equally spaced holes that would be for lifting the rings. These are about an inch/ inch and a half in diameter.
If you can see that these holes have been filled in / patched, it suggests it wouldn't be a soakaway.

The final ones are more engineering solutions, such as hydrobrakes and silt/settlement tanks.
These are designed to hold the water and either release it slowly and controlled to avoid flooding out streams they drain into, or to catch silt that may be washed down the drains and stop it spreading further.
Those ones would have obvious outlets somewhere.

Have you been down and had a look under the biscuit? There might be a higher outlet that can't be seen easily.
If you do plan on going down, you should have a load of H&S kit, gas detector, harness, tripod, emergency escape breathing aparatus and even a confined spaces ticket, so be careful you don't set yourself up for a b*llocking.

There should be drawing and plans about somewhere, estate management usually hold that kind of stuff, but often there is what they wanted to do, and what they actually did.
Often the plans won't actually end up working so they need to be adjusted/moved etc, and updating the drawings end up being forgotten.

·
Bfuk Legend
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's the concrete like on the bottom? Rough / back of the shovel finish points to a soakaway, if it's been nicely trowelled and smoothed, then it was meant to have everything wash out of it.

Generally you can have 3 types of pit, one is a regular manhole, the main channel will be in the bottom, although sometimes you will get new pipes breaking in halfway up the sides.
The channel will be benched, which is the smooth contoured finish, using grano, which is like very fine concrete using granite dust instead of pebbles so you can plaster it with something solid.
Concrete/grano channels in storm drains, half pipe sections used to make the channels in foul usually.

The next type is a soakaway, these should have a floor of gravel or often just covered with silt and the idea is to hold the rainwater and let it drain away in it's own time rather than going out into rivers and sewers to be treated.
These will tend to have plenty of approx 2-3 inch holes in the walls to allow soaking out sideways as well as through the bottom. Not to be confused with the 2 or 3 equally spaced holes that would be for lifting the rings. These are about an inch/ inch and a half in diameter.
If you can see that these holes have been filled in / patched, it suggests it wouldn't be a soakaway.

The final ones are more engineering solutions, such as hydrobrakes and silt/settlement tanks.
These are designed to hold the water and either release it slowly and controlled to avoid flooding out streams they drain into, or to catch silt that may be washed down the drains and stop it spreading further.
Those ones would have obvious outlets somewhere.

Have you been down and had a look under the biscuit? There might be a higher outlet that can't be seen easily.
If you do plan on going down, you should have a load of H&S kit, gas detector, harness, tripod, emergency escape breathing aparatus and even a confined spaces ticket, so be careful you don't set yourself up for a b*llocking.

There should be drawing and plans about somewhere, estate management usually hold that kind of stuff, but often there is what they wanted to do, and what they actually did.
Often the plans won't actually end up working so they need to be adjusted/moved etc, and updating the drawings end up being forgotten.

Enda
top man
that is very helpfull and i will take a further look at the pit and consider the options you have given mate

thank you very much for you help

regards

raffa

this forum is unreal i never expected an answer

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Raffa I have no real advice to give you!............apart from:

Stop sacking all your engineers and maybe you'll get a weekend off :lol :lol :lol

Dya think your Lord Sugar or summat!!! :rofl :rofl :rofl

·
Bfuk Legend
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Raffa I have no real advice to give you!............apart from:

Stop sacking all your engineers and maybe you'll get a weekend off :lol :lol :lol

Dya think your Lord Sugar or summat!!! :rofl :rofl :rofl
Fooking lord Sugar:rofl:rofl:rofl
there not engineers they aload of tossers and i an't paying people to do fook all when i can do it myself even if i am working a 100hour week:hihi:hihi

1 - 20 of 21 Posts